Revenge of the Flippy Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...the dent...

I was trying to get one last truck load of wood in at dusk a couple days before Christmas.

This is a notorious spot for me to back into, having previously cost me a passenger side mirror once, and another time backing up in a little bit of snow I managed to slide into a position I couldn't go back (too slick) and I couldn't go forward (tree) -- until I move a 1/4 cord of wood 100' by hand to put enough weight in the truck to back up the hill and straighten out.

I have half a load in the bed, light is fading fast, I want the wood brought down before the holiday weekend when I wouldn't be around. I put down the cap window (note it's tinted) and back into that bad spot to get some seasoned wood I had up there.

I watched my side mirrors damn carefully backing up.

Never saw the oak I backed into until I walked around to see what I hit.

That location is on my spring to-do list to make a drive-through spot I don't have to back into anymore.

Last edited:
I only have a couple of saws with the flippy caps and I will say not the best idea,but if that is one of Stihls worst ideas I will deal with it. After working on other saws and seeing some of the engineering nightmares( Plastic carb boot clamps that don't hold, carbs held on with screws threaded into plastic, and plastic to metal crankcases,ect,ect). I like them a lot better if once and a while they leak and I have to buy a new cap at least it won't burn my saw up. It would be nice if they went back to screw caps, but they probably have to much invested to go back now. Just my opinion

I think the biggest squawk that everybody has about flippy caps is that they will clip partially shut and grasp the neck of the tank while partially open. You then discover this after you start sawing and gas or oil is dripping all over the ground or your clothes.

Once that happens a few times, you learn to check them twice. There is only one orientation and setting that closes them correctly.

Latest posts

Back