Revitalized MS440 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I got new emblems for the saw but the magnum decal is original. I also put a new elastistart on it because it had just a cheap starter that was getting ready to break.
I think the 361 will not get used as much but I love Stihl saws so I will keep it. I was also told that I don't need 2 026's but I can't replace them for what I would get out of selling them.

Mac

I've said it time and time again. If you've got a 440, you're wasting money buying a 361. For the power you get out of the 440 at it's weight, the poor little 361 will be collecting dust. Take it from someone who has had a 260, 361 and 440 at the same time. 260/440 is the perfect firewood combo.

A muffler modded 361 is a different animal. They run real close to a stock 440. I love 440's but I'm a one saw kinda guy I guess. I like to grab one saw and do everything with it. My 260 gets used when clearing brush and things like that. mY 660 is used when felling big trees all day. The 361 is used 90% of the time. It's not the 70cc saw thats the problem with the 50cc/70cc combo, it's the 50cc saw.

I would just as soon run a 70cc saw as a one saw plan if I were going to run one. Or maybe a 60cc/70cc plan. Too bad they don't make the 440 anymore. It's the only saw that has the weight advantage to even have an advantage over a 361 IMO.
The Ford Grey id about the same thing as NH Grey and can be had at the NH dealers or at TSC. They are so close that you can't really tell them apart and they do look pretty much white. They match well to the Stihl Grey.

IMHO, the 361, is just a tweaner saw when you have a good 50cc and 70-80cc saw. Same with any 60cc saw. I no longer have a 60cc work saw.

I'll have to agree, a hopped-up 50cc saw takes care of 95% of everything I do. A 372 or 044 is always behind the seat, though. For a one saw plan I would probably opt for a 60cc-range saw.

Yeah I didnt mean literally just mean that would be a beast.

Last edited:
So did you sand the plastic at all or what? My 026 is looking a bit weathered and would love to make it shiny.

No claykann101 I did not sand anything. The covers were in pretty good shape so I just washed them in warm water with Gain laundry detergent. The ones I did in the past that were worse I did like a member on here said and scrubbed with a scotchbright pad and laquer thinner.

Mac

Mighty sweet gathering there. My 460 is my big saw (for now), and I love it. I just picked up an 036 Pro for $5 that just needed an ignition module and a muffler gasket, but I'm eager to try some modding on it since it was such a steal. Your saws look awesome, and I think you'll enjoy the 440 immensely.

Latest posts

Back