Reviving 031 spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, i just bought two for $8 from the link above.

Use a business card for the coil gap. I use a 0.010" feeler gauge. You will break the flywheel if you do not use the proper puller. The puller is like $10 on ebay. The point gap is about 0.014" to 0.016". If you go wider than 16, it will not rev up.

MY saw has been running for several years (maybe 5 or so) with this mod.

I went to my dad's last week and he said his saw didn't run anymore (saw in original posting). Cleaned the VERY dirty air filter and it's running well again. I didn't scold him too much, he is 70. I'm impressed by how well that saw still runs, and it does get some use. Between he and my brother, they use it and 2 other saws to cut about 10 cord a year.

I will soon be doing this repair to my 031. It has an omega module on it now, but it gets too hot and just won't rev to were I want it to.

I have a spare wima capacitor to use (Wima MKP4 0.22uF 630Volt 10%), but I do see these are getting a bit difficult to find. I have seen some potential replacements around:

Wima MKP4 0.1uF 630Volt 10%
Wima MKP10 0.22uF 630V 5%

I hope flyboy will add some info on here regarding these as maybe some optional replacements. These fit in with the capacitance range he specified (.1uF - .22uF), but I am unsure as to the "MKP4/MKP10" designation, perhaps that is just referring to the dissipation. Some are more spendy than others.

Last edited:
I went to my dad's last week and he said his saw didn't run anymore (saw in original posting). Cleaned the VERY dirty air filter and it's running well again. I didn't scold him too much, he is 70. I'm impressed by how well that saw still runs, and it does get some use. Between he and my brother, they use it and 2 other saws to cut about 10 cord a year.

I will soon be doing this repair to my 031. It has an omega module on it now, but it gets too hot and just won't rev to were I want it too.

I have a spare wima capacitor to use (Wima MKP4 0.22uF 630Volt 10%), but I do see these are getting a bit difficult to find. I have seen some potential replacements around:

I hope flyboy will add some info on here regarding these as maybe some optional replacements. These fit in with the capacitance range he specified (.1uF - .22uF), but I am unsure as to the "MKP4/MKP10" designation, perhaps that is just referring to the dissipation. Some are more spendy than others.

I am pretty sure that both the MKP4 or the 10 will work correctly, just make sure the physical case size works.

I will soon be doing this repair to my 031. It has an omega module on it now, but it gets too hot and just won't rev to were I want it too.

I just checked the data sheets, and they are both "Very low Dissipation Factor" capacitors. I am pretty sure the MKPxx 0.1uF to 0.22uF 630V x% will work. Some 031s were spec'd with 0.1uF and others with 0.22uF....(i think). I bet either cap would work just fine.

I just got my 031 av runnign with ELECTRONIC TRANSISTORIZED IGNITION MODULE NOVA II, now just tune the carb a little, but just FYI that worked, also, for me any way,

I lost spark......the guy at the shop said it needed a new condenser and points. The points look ok but I swapped out the condenser for a capacitor as listed above. I'm still not getting any spark. I pulled the wire off the kill switch and checked for nicked wires. Does it matter which lead goes to what on the cap? Any suggestions?

It does seem like a get a spark about every 20 pull of the rope. Is it possible that the coil is bad? What are the symptoms of a bad coil?

Hi, Want to thank everyone who supplied information on the Wima Capacitor fix.
Got an 031running for a coworker. Had more problems than the ignition but the condenser proved to be a real head scratcher. Engine would only turn 10,600 rpm. In a cut, had no power. Would run when cool but would get progressively worse till the point it wouldn’t start. Put the Wima capacitor in and runs great! Can get 12,000 rpm
now! Have mixture set to max out to 11,500 +/- Good power now!

That is a very nice right up. You did a better job than I installing the cap. Please tell us what cap you used so when people search, they will have all the data in one thread.

I think there are at least 6 or so AS members with 031s with that cap......instead of a $40+ condenser from the dealer.
I also have an 031 which I suspect has a bad cap. Can you tell me your source of WIMA .22uf cap ?

Back