Richer oil/fuel mix (or not)?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palbin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello!

I wonder if there are any possible advantages with a richer than
"nominal" oil-to-fuel-mixture such as, e.g., 3% instead of 2%. I
seem to have understood that some people use richer mixture
(including myself) but now I am wondering what the possible (if
any) advantages are?

I sort of thought it could give some "marginal" if there were pro-
blems in the engine (such as, e.g., airleaks) but now some supos-
edly knowledgeable people in Sweden tell me the opposite that
there are no advantages with it whatsoever (but rather only dis-
advantages such as dirtier engine-inside) so just wanted a second
opinion (before adjusting my oil-fuel-mixture to the leaner) :) .

Best regards

Putting more oil in the gas actually leans out the fuel:air ratio a small amount. Oil is not fuel but the carb meters both together. The more oil you put in the premix the less fuel goes into the engine. What you want is a richer fuel:air ratio. Like you'd get from adjusting the carb. But that's a crappy way to deal with an air leak.

oil_thread_popcorn.jpg

OP,
I'm not trying to be a male reproductive organ, but try the search. I know the search function on some boards sucks, but this one is actually pretty good. There was a 30 page train wreck of a thread about this topic a couple of weeks ago. It went downhill by page 2 and never came back.

OP,
I'm not trying to be a male reproductive organ, but try the search. I know the search function on some boards sucks, but this one is actually pretty good. There was a 30 page train wreck of a thread about this topic a couple of weeks ago. It went downhill by page 2 and never came back.
Well there goes all hopes of a new record.......

If some one has an air leak then air will leak into an engine causing the fuel mixture to be lean. So to make the mixture correct one needs to NOT add any oil to compensate for the lean fuel mixture. Then let us know the results with pictures.

On the other hand if a air leak becomes apparent then repair with new seals gaskets or etc. decide on a reasonable oil ratio 32:1 34:1 40:1 or 50:1 choose a consistent oil that is reliable and we can go about our boring lives cutting wood until our saws need new chains and bars. Thanks

Hello!

I wonder if there are any possible advantages with a richer than
"nominal" oil-to-fuel-mixture such as, e.g., 3% instead of 2%. I
seem to have understood that some people use richer mixture
(including myself) but now I am wondering what the possible (if
any) advantages are?

I sort of thought it could give some "marginal" if there were pro-
blems in the engine (such as, e.g., airleaks) but now some supos-
edly knowledgeable people in Sweden tell me the opposite that
there are no advantages with it whatsoever (but rather only dis-
advantages such as dirtier engine-inside) so just wanted a second
opinion (before adjusting my oil-fuel-mixture to the leaner) :) .

Best regards
There's no advantages & those swedes ( and Germans ) know what they're talking about if you're running a good quality synthetic oil for air cooled 2t, if your saw has a such a defect it will eventually melt either way. All the backyarders will be soon lining up 3 deep with their old wives tale story's as we speak, to tell you differently.
Thanski

To the OP Air leak is a NO NO with any mix ratio with regard to the mix ratio there are widely differing thoughts on this the consensus of opinion of guys that can produce 2 smoke motors delivering MAX power a ll conclude the more oil to fuel with in reason the harder/better the motor will go the longer time the throttle is kept wide open it fares better with more oil in the mix

View attachment 648941

From Stihl Website under Practice Knowledge

Oh High Angst!!!!

What to do???

I want to run.......drum roll please......40:1

I work nights so I’m going to sleep.

I expect at least 5 pages by the time I wake up.

From the latest stihl ms661 owners manual , absolutely nothing about 25:1

"If you mix the fuel yourself, STIHL recommends a STIHL two-stroke engine oil: STIHL HP Ultra is a low ash two- stroke engine oil that reduces carbon deposits in the engine.

STIHL MotoMix may be stored for up to 2 years without any problems.

A two-stroke engine oil with the specification JASO FB, JASO FC, JASO FD, ISO-L-EGB, ISO-L-EGC and ISO-L-EGD may be used.

WARNING

Mix Ratio

Pressure may build up in the canister – open it carefully.

STIHL 50:1 two-stroke engine oil: 50 parts gasoline to 1 part oil

N Clean the fuel tank and canister from time to time.

Dispose of remaining fuel and cleaning fluid properly in accordance with local regulations and environmental requirements.

Fuel mix ages – only mix sufficient fuel for a few weeks work. Do not store fuel mix for longer than 30 days. Exposure to light, the sun, low or high temperatures can quickly make the fuel mix unusable.

N

Thoroughly shake the mixture in the canister before fueling your machine."

From the latest stihl ms661 owners manual , absolutely nothing about 25:1

"If you mix the fuel yourself, STIHL recommends a STIHL two-stroke engine oil: STIHL HP Ultra is a low ash two- stroke engine oil that reduces carbon deposits in the engine.

STIHL MotoMix may be stored for up to 2 years without any problems.

A two-stroke engine oil with the specification JASO FB, JASO FC, JASO FD, ISO-L-EGB, ISO-L-EGC and ISO-L-EGD may be used.

WARNING

Mix Ratio

Pressure may build up in the canister – open it carefully.

STIHL 50:1 two-stroke engine oil: 50 parts gasoline to 1 part oil

N Clean the fuel tank and canister from time to time.

Dispose of remaining fuel and cleaning fluid properly in accordance with local regulations and environmental requirements.

Fuel mix ages – only mix sufficient fuel for a few weeks work. Do not store fuel mix for longer than 30 days. Exposure to light, the sun, low or high temperatures can quickly make the fuel mix unusable.

N

Thoroughly shake the mixture in the canister before fueling your machine."

Your quote ONLY mentions the use of Stihl oil. And incorrect quote it is.

I saw no “N” as you have it.

My quote is from their current web site.....maybe you should have them change it......

And MY post got more likes.........

And lighten up.....it’s an OIL THREAD for silliness sake.

It’s like arguing car color.

Your quote ONLY mentions the use of Stihl oil.

My quote is from their current web site.....maybe you should have them change it......

And MY post got more likes.........

And lighten up.....it’s an OIL THREAD for silliness sake.

It’s like arguing car color.
The wouldn't put husqvarna's brand name there now would they? No 25:1 though.

Latest posts

Back