Rim or Chain Sprocket, which?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is in fact pretty handy some times - works best in combo with an inboard clutch......:)

Starting to think your right about the outboard clutches.
Packed up the rancher for selling i forgot how much of a pain it was to get the chain off!

Take a saw with a rim and start it and then flop it over so you can see the rim and clutch. Whether at idle or hittin' the throttle... trust me, you will see side to side movement. It might not be much but there will be movement. Now loosen the chain a tad and do the same thing... then watch it move.

Gary

OK, I tried it and the only thing moving side to side was the washer. I don't doubt you or your eyes, but it just hasn't happened for me. BTW, I loosened the chain till some of the tangs were out of the bar groove.

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :censored:

Lots of saws do - sorry Gary, you were waaaay off there.......:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

I have just never run any rims with outboards... I ain't sayin' they don't exist... just never used or seen one here. :)

Gary

OK, I tried it and the only thing moving side to side was the washer. I don't doubt you or your eyes, but it just hasn't happened for me. BTW, I loosened the chain till some of the tangs were out of the bar groove.

It's prolly because all I have are those crappy Stihls... LMAO...

Guess it depends on the... well hells bells... I have no idea.

Gary

Doesn't the 346XP also have a rim with an outboard clutch?

I know I've seen a few out there.

Two additional points:

1) Using rims makes having spares easier. As long as I have a .325, a 3/8 and a .404 rim in the spares box, I'm good for all my saws. I don't need to worry about specific drums.

2) For old saws where spares are scarce, having a rim means that you don't need to worry about sprocket wear. It took me nearly a year to track down a new sprocket for an 07S - now that I have a rim/drum for it, I never need to worry again. I'll just stick a .404 rim on it when the current one wears out.

On outboard rims/drums - my 070s and 090 all have outboard, and all are running rim/drum.

The one bad thing about a rim is it is less efficient at transfering power to the chain. The guys that race have spursprockets machined for their saws to stay competitive but the rim is a much better choice for the average user.

The one bad thing about a rim is it is less efficient at transfering power to the chain. The guys that race have spursprockets machined for their saws to stay competitive but the rim is a much better choice for the average user.

Any pics of a modded spur sprocket?
are they modded or built from scratch?

I don't have a pic but I have been reading up and a lot of them use the spur sprocket for racing. I had never really thought much about it but the rim sprocket is not always the best setup. I would consider using a spur setup on an underpowered saw. The ones I have seen were made from sctatch using one piece of steel. The spursprocket has less drag and some guys even drill relief holes around the center of the bore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back