Rim Sprocket; What kind?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey all,
My 026 project came with a Herr drum and a nearly dead GB 7 T rim. The numbers on the drum are 191 2. I found out today that a small spline Stihl rim wont fit, so my question is does anyone know the replacement # for the GB or if an Oregon will fit it? I need 3/8.

PS. this is the 026 some of you helped me out with on the new Piston and honing on the jug. Good compression and runs like a champ. Thanks :clap:

:chainsaw:

Spend $29 and put a genuine stihl 3/8 drum kit on it... 1121 007 1041... if "pro" model. If not "pro" there is a different drum kit as you don't need to drive an oil pump arm.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I always figure if it aint broke.........

Aren't ya off work Lakeside? why are you selling me stihl parts?

:) :givebeer:

If LS speaks... listen. I'm drunk, but that's the last thing in my mind that fuzzes out. If LS says that standing on your head in the corner will make your saw run better, grab a pillow. Your head will hurt less that way.

Ian

Hmmm. I always figure if it aint broke.........

Aren't ya off work Lakeside? why are you selling me stihl parts?

:) :givebeer:

I always figure if you can keep it from breaking in the first place by proper maintenance, then you don't ever have to fix it at some very inopportune time.

The Stihl size is commonly called "mini" spline....you need a "small" spline and the larger saws use "standard" spline

Which pitch?

Oh.....3/8ths....you need a 3/8ths small 7-7 tooth

Last edited:
People say "Stihl stands alone".
I guess they like it that way.

By the way Lake, I don't mean to shun yer advice only that the drum i've got looks just as tough as any of the Stihl drums I've got. So why buy new?

I'll be in the corner :monkey:

The Herr's are not made any more and are better constructed than ANY currently available rim set up

The only advantage to the mini spline is slightly longer sprocket life

I miss them for clutch parts

Last edited:
They made as much junk as any aftermarket supplier.. probably why they aren't around any more... their recoil springs are horrible.

Last edited:
People say "Stihl stands alone".
I guess they like it that way.

By the way Lake, I don't mean to shun yer advice only that the drum i've got looks just as tough as any of the Stihl drums I've got. So why buy new?

I'll be in the corner :monkey:

'cos it will simplify you buying sprockets! You'll never have to think "what fit's my odd-ball drum"..... ;) yes, i'm kind of down on a lot of of cheap aftermarket parts. Just makes my life more miserable dealing with this stuff on repair saws. We had a bunch of new GB drum kits recently... some were o.k. and some were off center, wrong depth dimensions etc etc.. how damn hard is it to copy another manfs stuff and do it right?

Just go to any Stihl dealer with your saw and ask him for a rim that fits... it will be obvious in a glance which one of the two sizes you need.

Also check your exisiting drum - rock it back and forth (brake off...) with opposing fingers on the outside edges. If it rocks more than a "small" amount, chuck it. It's usually the drum that wears - not the bearing.

Last edited:
'cos it will simplify you buying sprockets! You'll never have to think "what fit's my odd-ball drum"..... ;) yes, i'm kind of down on a lot of of cheap aftermarket parts. Just makes my life more miserable dealing with this stuff on repair saws. We had a bunch of new GB drum kits recently... some were o.k. and some were off center, wrong depth dimensions etc etc.. how damn hard is it to copy another manfs stuff and do it right?

Couldn't agree more, I just had to replace both half shafts in my car because of shoddy parts/workmanship, fortunately both are covered with lifetime warranty, [1 was already covered]so that when it happens again, they eat the cost of parts not me. I just get the fun part of R & R. Gggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

So Stihl makes "mini" and everyone else makes "small"?

Yes, they are different - learned that the hard way......:censored:

If your Stihl dealer don't stock the regular small 7-spline rim - just go to the nearest Husky/Jred dealer........

Last edited:
PES+,

What do you mean by that? Why would the mini give more sprocket life?

By using a smaller diameter spline inside drive, the rim sprocket is thicker in proportion which does allow for slightly more wearing before replacement is required

Of course they still recommend replacement at standard lower replacement intervals.

Stihl was rather late in entering the standard spline system (they had their own type for a while as did others) and did indeed create their own size so it was a bit confusing as they went standard but in their own proprietary sizing

By using a smaller diameter spline inside drive, the rim sprocket is thicker in proportion which does allow for slightly more wearing before replacement is required.

Sorry, I still don't get it, as the outer perimeter will wear exactly the same, and I believe that is what really counts........:confused:

Although you might get away with running them longer before disintegrating, they should have been changed well before you reach that point anyway.

Back