Ring Compressor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello and Happy Holidays to all.Well the dog sled finally arrived with my parts for my Husky 55 rancher. Rings, piston, gaskets, ext. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive possibly home made ring Compressor? The parts set me back $118. My budget is now at a decifit. Thanks Ken

Bailey's has a nice ring compressor set for $5 in their latest catalog or go to their site and search fro part number 10429.

I have used a hose clamp before. After you slip the cylinder down over the piston simply screw the clamp all the way open and remove.

God Bless,
Brent J Cox

You don't need a ring compresser. If you're totally broke use a screw driver. I've done it that way for years, but since I have gotten a set of ring compressers it's sure made it easier, and they are real cheap.

Use a large plastic tie wrap. The plastic won't scratch the piston.

Fingers wont work well on consumer type saws with the upper half of the case built into the head.

A long slice of aluminum out of a beer can works well for me, you need to drain the beer can first:D

Take a slice about 1/2 inch by a little more than the circumfirance of the ring, bend the two ends out at 90 deg and hold with a pair of needle nose or small vice grips.

Well I mean to get a ring compressor, but if you want cheap, try this;

Take the plastic top off an aerosol can (of a larger diameter that your piston) and cut a strip off around its circumference. Ideally if large enough you can bend the two ends out and back on themselves to give you something to get hold of. It isn't the best and you may need an extra hand and a small screw driver to persued the ring ends in, but I have used it with some success in the past.

Compressor ring

I located a used caulking tube and cut the end off. Then I measured the distance around the piston. Then simply left a small opening. The clamp holds the plastic to the piston that will hold the ring in place. I appriciate the input, but I drink beer out of a bottle, Thanks all, Ken

Plastic zip tie works well for me, the 046 is the only thing I have ever had to resort to use the method on. As with dirtbikes and other saws I just use my fingers to get them on the little bevel and the slide it the rest of the way on.

Back