Rings - Stihl vs aftermarket... Lake!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK got the new OEM rings for my 056. As far as I can tell, the 52mm TS510 rings are identical in every way to the 051/056/038M rings (Lake wanted to know...).

I pulled out the new aftermarket rings (half run in) that were giving 130psi. I coated it all with some 2-stroke oil and put it together - 150psi! Start it up, all's good, running beautifully. Comp test again and it's down to 140... I guess because the seal isn't as good as with the oil. How much if any can I expect the rise in compression to be after run-in? Can I expect 10psi?

Anyway, my real comment was a 10psi jump in OEM vs aftermarket rings - I need no further convincing (shouldn't have in the first place though). And the aftermarkets were almost run-in!

I coated it all with some 2-stroke oil and put it together - 150psi!...Comp test again and it's down to 140... I guess because the seal isn't as good as with the oil[?]. How much if any can I expect the rise in compression to be after run-in? Can I expect 10psi?
Is this possible? Will my gauge even read the change? How much will it improve?

Back