Ripped Off...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K.C.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As I'm pulling away from home this morning on my way to work I noticed a piece of my oak out by the street. H-m-m-m. I stop, back up and see that someone has apparently decided my woodpile is there for their own benefit! They probably got a full pick-up load. We moved the pile when I got home so they won't be able to easily snag any more.

Pi$$es me off that I go through all the work to cut & bring it home, split and stack it, and they feel it's OK to help themselves.:msp_mad:

Only thing I can say is that I hope it went to a family thats having a hard time and can't pay for heat. If they were in need and had asked I would have gladly given them some - but to just come and take it really frosts my pumpkin!

Several years ago, we were clear cutting for a development to go in. All red oak, standing dead from oak wilt. We had 30 pickup loads all cut and split and dumped in between rows of pine trees. Seemed to be hidden nicely. Since the pines were full of this split wood, we didnt go back there again til fall when it was time to sell the wood we had stored there. Guess what! It was all gone!
Called the sheriff, but true to our locals fine abilities, he just wrote up a report for us to turn in to insurance and told us to be more careful storing our wood! As if that was something we hadn't already thought of! But then again, unless we had spray painted each piece, would be a bit hard to say the wood came from our stash.
So, I feel your pain! lol

Several years ago, we were clear cutting for a development to go in. All red oak, standing dead from oak wilt. We had 30 pickup loads all cut and split and dumped in between rows of pine trees. Seemed to be hidden nicely. Since the pines were full of this split wood, we didnt go back there again til fall when it was time to sell the wood we had stored there. Guess what! It was all gone!
Called the sheriff, but true to our locals fine abilities, he just wrote up a report for us to turn in to insurance and told us to be more careful storing our wood! As if that was something we hadn't already thought of! But then again, unless we had spray painted each piece, would be a bit hard to say the wood came from our stash.
So, I feel your pain! lol

I guess some butthead(s) thought Christmas came early for them when they found your wood!

Wood Thieves

It's interesting seeing this ...
Was talking to a friend the other day about putting in a outdoor wood burner....
My wife was concerned I wanted to put the stove close to the road...
She was worried about thieves....
So the friend then tells a story about his family being at their hunting camp...
The family is out on the porch relaxing and a station wagon comes down the road and pulls up to the wood pile and starts loading wood in the back....
Mind you the wood pile is several cords but it is next to the porch...
So he walks up to the people and ask them what they are doing...
THey look at him and say getting wood............:bang:

He says ....no your not ......put it back....
He said they acted like he was a jerk.......

People are flipped out!!!!!

like the opening line of Josh Thompson's song "way out here..Our house is protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son. I have a clean shot to my wood pile, If I dont get them the dogs will. I told my neighbor to help herself to some wood for her "summer Campfires" she takes a piece here and there and always feels guilty about it. I have great neighbors.

Jeff

Theives are everywhere. Sorry to hear of your lost.
I know that you would be glad to give that wood away but that feeling of being violated on your own property sucks bad. :msp_angry:

As I'm pulling away from home this morning on my way to work I noticed a piece of my oak out by the street. H-m-m-m. I stop, back up and see that someone has apparently decided my woodpile is there for their own benefit! They probably got a full pick-up load. We moved the pile when I got home so they won't be able to easily snag any more.

Pi$$es me off that I go through all the work to cut & bring it home, split and stack it, and they feel it's OK to help themselves.:msp_mad:

Only thing I can say is that I hope it went to a family thats having a hard time and can't pay for heat. If they were in need and had asked I would have gladly given them some - but to just come and take it really frosts my pumpkin!

Exactly the way I feel when I drive out in the pasture to feed the cows at day-break, only to find a 400 pound calf shot between the eyes, and his hind-quarters cut off, and steam still rising from him.

Wood pile should be fairly close to the house,
with a nice clear path for bullets and such.

Just remember the laws.

1 Wound them first. Ask why they are here. Dont like the answer finish the job.

2 Get the story right in your head before you call the law.

3 Remember you felt threatened. Your personal life was in peril.

4 Take Pictures. Hang them by the no trespassing sign. and the remove wood at your own risk sign.

5 Keep a few boxes of ammo on the dash of the truck. Leave it their when you do all your business in town. Lets the local boys know you are not alone at the house

6 I know I have missed some points but you get where this is going.

Just remember the laws.

4 Take Pictures. Hang them by the no trespassing sign. and the remove wood at your own risk sign.

5 Keep a few boxes of ammo on the dash of the truck. Leave it their when you do all your business in town. Lets the local boys know you are not alone at the house

That's what I'm talkin about right there!;)

What about a motion sensor game camera. the kind people hang by there deer stand to see when the monster buck is walking by. same with the wood pile. Might not make out a face, but at least a licence plate or something. They even have the high tech ones that you can check from your home computer with out going to the camera

Exactly the way I feel when I drive out in the pasture to feed the cows at day-break, only to find a 400 pound calf shot between the eyes, and his hind-quarters cut off, and steam still rising from him.

Just remember the laws.

Have you condensed setting a trap? You might check into a company called Dakota Alert.

What about a motion sensor game camera. the kind people hang by there deer stand to see when the monster buck is walking by. same with the wood pile. Might not make out a face, but at least a licence plate or something. They even have the high tech ones that you can check from your home computer with out going to the camera

Rep sent to all! Thanks for the input & support!

like the opening line of Josh Thompson's song "way out here..Our house is protected by the good lord and a gun, you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son. I have a clean shot to my wood pile, If I dont get them the dogs will. I told my neighbor to help herself to some wood for her "summer Campfires" she takes a piece here and there and always feels guilty about it. I have great neighbors.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, couldn't really figure where the song quote ends!
Nice one, "meet them both"! :laugh:

You know, funny as it seems, here in Israel where all the news is guns n bombs, you will probably be in the wrong almost every time you pulled a gun's trigger on a thief or burglar...
Last year a guy in a farm shot #1 beduin car thief while trespassing.
They made a change in the law and named it after the shooter - they realized it was absurd he'll do time for not helping that POS take his property.
Still, I don't hold a gun but a few axe handles around the home exits. Already gave chase at night with a stick and a coupla neighbors...
Thieves should LIMP and WINCE in an ideal world and hey, don't we all want it to be an ideal world...?

SA

Just remember the laws.

#1 Would be murder

Latest posts

Back