Ripping Chain (LP)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was just looking at Baileys chain for ripping i'm thinking about getting a couple more loops for my 36" .50 gauge GB bar for milling. They have conventional ripping chain and low profile chain they say the Low profile should be used on shorter bar but has anyone tried it on a 36" bar? What is the difference between conventional and low profile and if anyone has used it does it make a difference in cutting speed/smoothness? Right now i'm using GB's ripping chain and it works not sure what the cutters are sharpened at but would like to try some other brands to compare. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

I was just looking at Baileys chain for ripping i'm thinking about getting a couple more loops for my 36" .50 gauge GB bar for milling. They have conventional ripping chain and low profile chain they say the Low profile should be used on shorter bar but has anyone tried it on a 36" bar? What is the difference between conventional and low profile and if anyone has used it does it make a difference in cutting speed/smoothness? Right now i'm using GB's ripping chain and it works not sure what the cutters are sharpened at but would like to try some other brands to compare. Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Low profile has a slightly smaller kerf than regular chain. I've used it on my small mill (50cc Homelite powerhead) with a 20" bar and it cuts very fast and very smooth. I reckon it would be worth a try. Just take it easy as it will stretch especially when its new. I personally wouldn't go above 36".

Hey thanks Bobl thats what I wondered whether anyone had gotten away with it on a long bar. I would imagine if aggiewood used .325 it should hold up too?? Anyone know if it sharpens with a 3/8 file?? Merry Christmas to all

Maybe skip chain would be a better idea on the longer bars? I was running 3/8 .050 LP on my 660/25"/8-pin this fall, and haven't had any problems after a couple hundred board feet with it. Mind you it was soft wood and I can imagine that hitting a real good hardwood knot could be almost as bad as a nail, so it might not be up to the task on big saws in those cases. The LP chain cuts WAY faster, and I use semi-round so it's much smoother too. FYI my LP chain takes a 5/32" diameter file and will end out on a 1/8". Most 3/8 chain takes 3/16" to 7/32". Bob, what are you using that takes 1/4"? Even my big .404 stuff is only 7/32"!

FWIW, a guy who works at the local dealer used to mill quite a bit, and he told me he tried 1/4" pitch chain once. I'd never heard of it or seen it before, but he knows more than I do. I don't know what saw he tried it on, but I know he had used an 084. At any rate he said it was like trying to mill with a shoelace.

Last edited:
Most 3/8 chain takes 3/16" to 7/32". Bob, what are you using that takes 1/4"? Even my big .404 stuff is only 7/32"!.

Err . . . that's a stuff-up! I don't know why I said 1/4"

I concur - the LP chain I'm using is Oregon 91 VS (050) and uses a 5/32" file.
I found it really stretches for the first 1/2 dozen boards and then settles down after that - I was only using it on a 20" blade but thought I was going to have to take a link out of it!

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys appreciate the info thinking since it is a 36"bar I might just get the conventinal I also have a 24" bar and thinking about a mini-mill maybe I can get away with a loop for that. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back