ripping question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to slab an 8 ft. long, 30 inch diameter red cedar, I have access to an 066 with 36 inch bar and .404 full skip chain(not a milling chain). I just want to slab off a third of the log at @20 inch diameter for a project and I can't afford to screw up.Not sure about the chain,Anyone see a problem here?

I need to slab an 8 ft. long, 30 inch diameter red cedar, I have access to an 066 with 36 inch bar and .404 full skip chain(not a milling chain). I just want to slab off a third of the log at @20 inch diameter for a project and I can't afford to screw up.Not sure about the chain,Anyone see a problem here?

IMO, the cut will be rougher than if you use milling chain.
I would mix my fuel at 40:1, set carb a little richer and turn oiler wide open and rip it :)

Last edited:
IMO, the cut will be rougher than if you use milling chain.
I would mix my fuel at 40:1, set carb a little richer and turn oiler wide open and rip it :)

+1 yep. That's the only differance. If you want a smoother surface use ripping chain. Use an Alaskan mill attachment if you have access too one. You could certainly freehand it but it's not easy and you said you can't afford to screw it up. If you have to do it freehand, snap yourself some chalk lines on both sides for guides and take your time. :cheers:

Just as the guys above have already stated, your chain will do just fine but may produce a rougher cut. Good luck with the project.:cheers:

OOPS, got the saw and its standard chain, not skip, ripped up an old cottonwood like butter. I'll just assume the cedar will be the same story. Thanks and some rep for ya!

Cedar shouldn't be a problem.... but if screwing up isn't an option.... an alaskan or a Granberg mini-mill would be nice. I overthink stuff, though.

Back