Ripsaw sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildasmate

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all anyone got any pics of and info on a ripsaw bandmill sharpener or info and pics , plans of a manual bandsaw blade sharpener . I did a search of this forum for info , but my search skills are shyt . Some blokes reckon they use thoughts 12 chain grinders with a diamond stone , would like to see how they mount them . A friend of mine has built a bandsaw , but now needs a band sharpener , his english is not so good , so I said I would try and get a bit of info for him . Cheers MM

I sharpen my bandsaw blades with a simple Dremel tool in which I mount a diamond stone. Tedious, but works great if you don't dwell on the tooth which gets it to hot. I just touch each tooth for a second or so, enough to put an edge on the tip, and it's good to go.

I've got a WM band sharpener, but it's a bit big for a Ripsaw...it basically works like a big chain grinder, that drives the blade automatically...If I were doing
little blades like that, I'd make a "racetrack" that the blade could ride in,
make a hinged cradle for the dremel to ride up and down in and an adjustable stop pin that rides on the blade to stop each tooth on the same place..move the blade by hand touch each tooth in and out, and then the next...be sure to touch the bottom of hte gullet up each time, stress cracks in the gullets are where most bands fail...at least in the big ones...

or..buy yerself a band welder and a couple rolls of band material...:cheers:

sharpening bands, even with an auto sharpener is a real snooze...and handsetting posolutely sucks swamp water out of a cypress stump.

Thanks guys , thats just the sort of info I was after . This will make a big difference to my mate , thank you . Cheers MM

Latest posts

Back