Risk continuing to own Makita/Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parts for the Dolmar/Makita over here in in Europe are getting scarse already and prices on the bay seem to skyrocketing already. Time to get rid of my DCS7300...
Am getting rid of my only Makita saws too, just don't want the hassle of needing a part
and being ripped off for the pleasure, if I can find it, and then there is the downtime.

Am getting rid of my only Makita saws too, just don't want the hassle of needing a part
and being ripped off for the pleasure, if I can find it, and then there is the downtime.

we will all be running 7hp 150v saws, with a spare battery in our back pocket, and another spare one charging in the ev pickup truck
and the only trees left to cut down will be fire damaged ones :)
Yes, and you can bet those who are allowed / permitted to cut the last trees
won't be the just getting by type who need the money, it will be the cream de
la crap ass lickers who destroyed and miss managed our resources in the first place
for their own greed.

It tells me something that China isn't making counterfeit copies of Dolmar saws or parts. I like to use Dolmar saws, not so crazy about working on them or trying to find parts that aren't expensive for them..
May be we need to alert them to the problem, anyone have any friends who
work in the chinese clone industry.

Plenty of demand when the stocks run out, but millions of acres lost too to fire, prices
will indeed be high.
i,m on about the future, trees are en vogue because they capture carbon, whereas concrete/brick/steel have big carbon footprints
so we will all be living in timber houses and driving plastic coated timber ev cars, like trabants :)

i,m on about the future, trees are en vogue because they capture carbon, whereas concrete/brick/steel have big carbon footprints
so we will all be living in timber houses and driving plastic coated timber ev cars, like trabants :)
The flint stones, but yes, they will be pushing timber over more planet damaging materials,
which may not be the best solution, example, wood seems to last no time in Ireland, so would
need replaced way too often, in such a case it still may be more planet friendly to build with
concrete, or go back to stone buildings, or die of some mysterious virus that no one knows
where it came from or how to cure it, that would save the planet loads, and the only wooden
house we would see would be the one we get buried in.

The flint stones, but yes, they will be pushing timber over more planet damaging materials,
which may not be the best solution, example, wood seems to last no time in Ireland, so would
need replaced way too often, in such a case it still may be more planet friendly to build with
concrete, or go back to stone buildings.
the timber would be long lasting if we coat or inject it with all our waste plastic mountains

@Wood Doctor , what is an injection carb, there is a Makita 520 for sale locally, he says fuel injected,
but the stickers only say DCS520, not 520i.
An air injection carb doesn't use a flap to choke it. A twist valve somehow does it all. Not sure how it works, but it does. I usually only have to choke it once or twice. Any more pulls than that in the choke position and she will flood.
1628889100932.png

An air injection carb doesn't use a flap to choke it. A twist valve somehow does it all. Not sure how it works, but it does. I usually only have to choke it once or twice. Any more pulls than that in the choke position and she will flood.
View attachment 923944
Easiest starting chainsaw I own is my 111i. As far as parts go, I’ve owned my 540 since new in 2005, my first new saw when I only had 1. I agonized over paying that much for a saw, wasn’t making a ton of dough back then but buy once cry once, get the beat you can afford. 16 years and 3 bars later that’s all I’ve done to it. Lots of chains, the AC can be cleaned. I’m not concerned about parts. I think I have a parts machine anyway and an NOS one on the shelf9BEFCC14-B368-43D9-A1E5-C459217112BF.jpegCCCE67AD-1E74-4DA9-8BA2-458EA27B2719.jpeg36731309-AEED-4A3E-A824-F5DDC3CFCF59.jpeg883D7EB2-856F-4E50-B498-CCA77A1643C9.jpeg6A5DACF3-A947-46BD-92B9-14EBA85B2589.jpeg

I imagine someone will make aftermarket parts. I don't think they will be quality but at least there will be an option to keep your saws running. Oddly at tractor Supply yesterday they had a 4 stroke chainsaw.

It tells me something that China isn't making counterfeit copies of Dolmar saws or parts. I like to use Dolmar saws, not so crazy about working on them or trying to find parts that aren't expensive for them..
FYI there are what appears to be Dolmar clones sold in Europe under various brands:
Stiga SP 526
Villager VGS 5032 PE
Hecht 947
Alpina ACS 552
All of these seems to have air filter, cylinder, muffler and inboard clutch aseembly almost identical to Dolmar PS 5105. They usually come with Walbro carbs and Oregon bars and chains.
You can watch partial disassembly in this video.
Parts for them are hard to find and not exactly cheap. See here.

I own 2 Dolmars and will continue to own them despite the "RISK". My PS401 is my go to saw and has been for the past 16yrs.

Latest posts

Back