Ritchie brothers auction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm down in Orlando and I'm going to the auction tomorrow. Is anyone else from this site going. I wish I could stay all six days but the GF has to be back for work.

Scott

Hope you have plenty of funds, I think it is shark feeding time.

I go to the Ritchie auctions here in Texas, DFW & Houston.

I went to a auction of unclaimed freight from a Worldwide industrial store chain yesterday in DFW.

Bought 3 items for 291.00 including tax went home & researched the retail prices.
They totaled $2400.00, wished I had stayed longer.

Thinking of going...havnt made up my mind yet, wont be untill later in the week that case.

Let us know how the prices are on the first day.

Prices seemed lower on almost new backhoes. A guy buying man lifts said they were going cheaper for the lower end higher hour units. I ran a Genie 50ft towable up to 15500 it sold for 16k. That is what I wanted. The have quite a few chippers,stump grinder,tub grinders, I have to leave tomorrow so I'll have to bid on other stuff on the net.

Scott

I avoid "RICH"IE brother auctions like the plague around here. I figured if you want to buy a 30k piece of equipment, you better be able to buy it for 10k cuz it will take another 20k to fix it.

No doubt, I think most of their stuff just revolves through buyers who buy cheap, clean and paint and resell at the next auction.

I avoid "RICH"IE brother auctions like the plague around here. I figured if you want to buy a 30k piece of equipment, you better be able to buy it for 10k cuz it will take another 20k to fix it.
You are right about this, I had a royal screwing on a pickup one time. I swear one of the owners were bidding up the pickup.

I stick to things I know more about.

Too funny this thread shows up now, just got notice in the mail one is coming just down the street in a couple weeks. Don't think they've ever had one this close before, if I have time I'll check it out and watch for shill bidders....

It's like any other auction you need to watch what you buy and inspect closely. Someone can only run the price up on you if you keep bidding it higher. I have only bought small items so far and I've done ok on them.

Scott

It's like any other auction you need to watch what you buy and inspect closely. Someone can only run the price up on you if you keep bidding it higher. I have only bought small items so far and I've done ok on them.

Scott
I have been buying at auctions since 74 mainly pickups & radio gear long before Ritchie ever got out of farm auctions. As far away as Calif, Az & Wyo.
I figered out long ago I am not perfect & there are slicker #######s out then me.
Sooner or later if you fight the bear long enough, you will get bit.

I have been buying at auctions since 74 mainly pickups & radio gear long before Ritchie ever got out of farm auctions. As far away as Calif, Az & Wyo.
I figered out long ago I am not perfect & there are slicker #######s out then me.

I didn't mean that as a shot towards you. I understand what you mean sooner or later you'll get the short end of the stick. I just always try to find the bargain in the sale. It's getting harder and harder. But you have to know there is always that chance when you buy something that's why you have to figure that into your bidding price.

Scott

When you buy at an auction you know that you are taking a risk at what you are buying and that is why you have to price items accordingly. I buy stuff at auctions but only pay a fraction of what I would have paid somewhere else or I dont buy anything.

Normally I get a chuckle at the auctions. I am truely amazed as to the competiveness some people have at an auction. It's like some people goto an auction and have to buy something (like a disease). The junk that gets sold amazes me and sometimes for more than it is new. I know their are scrap dealers that buy at auctions but often the small tools seem to go for a fortune. One thing is true at an auction "One mans junk is anothers treasure."

It's true that once in a while you get a good deal at an auction but personally I have only seen that a few times.

Machines are often at an auction because dealers cannot move items because of their condition or dealers do not want to be involved in a item that may be suspect and cause them problems with a customer. Often the machines are worn out and sellers send them to auction with a midnight paint special to make them look good to maximize their bidding potential.

Often you get rental machines that have seen untold abuse and you find out what your in for when you get home.

Sometimes you get machines from fleets that just don't need them anymore and are in good condition. These are the machines that you can get a good deal on if the right crowd is at the auction but generally the price goes up pretty high on those ones.

When you buy at an auction you know that you are taking a risk at what you are buying and that is why you have to price items accordingly. I buy stuff at auctions but only pay a fraction of what I would have paid somewhere else or I dont buy anything.

In good times the fraction buying gets you squat.

We have a huge demand at times for used pickups so to get anywhere close, you are bumping the wholesale price.

It is the same for smaller equipment like tractor backhoes & skid loaders.

If I arrange funds for 150,000 or 250,000 to buy machinery, I will not waste my time stumping around 12 hours at a auction yard to buy only at fractions.

You youngsters call me in about 20 years & than tell me you are Mr. Perfect & never made a mistake at a auction.

In the meantime I suggest you concentrate on not falling out of a tree. SIGH :greenchainsaw:

I don't have to wait 20 years I have made a mistake at an auction and I can admit it. That's how you learn or at least how I do.

Scott

Not to be too picky, but Ritchie Bros held their first auction in 1958 and their first industrial equipment auction in 1963.

The equipment is available for inspection before the auction, so you can determine how much work it will need hence the price to bid it.

Back