River Birch Thinning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rozie

Reaction score
Hello!
We planted our river birch in our front garden area about 3 years ago. At that time it was much smaller, but has more than doubled in height and width. It has grown at an amazing speed--way faster than others in our neighborhood that were about the same size. Because it was taking over our sidewalk and attacking people walking up to the house, we decided it was time to trim the lower branches. I love seeing more of the beautiful bark, however, now I feel like it needs some thinning on top as well. I am looking for a second opinion. I don't want to do anything to hurt the tree since it is a beautiful tree and I love it. From my knowledge this tree is supposed to be a thinner light filtering type tree. I feel it has just gotten too bushy. What do you think? I am including a picture for your review.
IMG_5785es.gif

Maybe yours found a good water source, such as your foundation drainpipes. :cry: You have options, including entire removal of the stem nearest the house. Can you take a pic of the base, so we know if the trunks are separate trees?

They can do very well if planted in the open too!

I think you may have a real problem with the tree that close to your house. We have several River Birches growing wild on our farm, and some are so big you can barely reach around them with both arms.

Keep it pruned, or take it out/down to ground level. The first mistake was planting it next to the home. River Birch are a pretty tree, when out in the open.
Though, as ScoutmasterRick mentioned, these trees can get big.

Great pics Rick, very helpful.
Rozie look @ the above pics, the "beautiful bark" you love will look like Ricks tree in about 5-10 yrs.
In the mean time reduction pruning (River birches tolerate this well) & growth regulators can be considered.
Doesn't matter how many stems it has, wrong tree, wrong location. Enjoy it now & think about an appropriate replacement.
In my experience heading cuts to maintain size works better than thinning cuts on these trees.

Latest posts

Back