Roast me on my porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a cool thread. I commend the OP for doing his own thing and seeing where it leads - that's the recipe for success sometimes. I hope @Absolution will keep us updated on his project and doesn't get discouraged by the naysayers.

Man i wont get discouraged. I was in the Marines you want to talk about some work environments with naysayers that was the place. I honestly just posted because i wanted critics on the ports and see if anyone had some helpful options on what could of been done better. I originally posted in the hot saw building part but then I realized no one is in that form so I had it moved here. Hoping for a wider audience.

I also only posted the RPM thing with a disclaimer because I found it insane if the tach is right. But I don't think some people read it and are only looking at the pictures.

That was 15k rpms? Man, my ear must be bad because I would have guessed a max of about half that. Or less. Do you have tach set for 2-stroke single cylinder?
It's set on it when i did it off the instruction. Which is why i think the tach went bad on me. Because the ungoverned 090 usually only see 12k. I've stated this in my original post.

I am on the lookout for something to port and rebuild again. Unfortunately most people around here either want new prices for their junk or would rather use it as lawn ornaments.

I too was in the Marines, and having a bunch of internet naughty talkers doesn't get very deeply into my skin.

Man i wont get discouraged. I was in the Marines you want to talk about some work environments with naysayers that was the place. I honestly just posted because i wanted critics on the ports and see if anyone had some helpful options on what could of been done better. I originally posted in the hot saw building part but then I realized no one is in that form so I had it moved here. Hoping for a wider audience.

I also only posted the RPM thing with a disclaimer because I found it insane if the tach is right. But I don't think some people read it and are only looking at the pictures.

I am on the lookout for something to port and rebuild again. Unfortunately most people around here either want new prices for their junk or would rather use it as lawn ornaments.

I too was in the Marines, and having a bunch of internet naughty talkers doesn't get very deeply into my skin.
well, I can do something else. Do you have a 660 or 066? I ordered a clone saw and that is the saw I really want to build with a test pipe and all. I was toying with the idea of doing a big bore with a pop up. If you are interested ill send you the piston and cylinder off the saw for free.

Thanks, but I can't use the piston and cylinder either. Most people around here run Ranch saws. I saw a ms290, on Craigslist, well used selling for $425. WTF! I paid $400 6+ years ago, and it came with an extra chain and a 6 pack of 2-cycle oil. Maybe the saw has now some sentimental collector value. I have to rely on garage and yard sales for older saws, and some of them looked like they were once owned by Fred Flintstone. :)

well, I can do something else. Do you have a 660 or 066? I ordered a clone saw and that is the saw I really want to build with a test pipe and all. I was toying with the idea of doing a big bore with a pop up. If you are interested ill send you the piston and cylinder off the saw for free.

Thanks, but I can't use the piston and cylinder either. Most people around here run Ranch saws. I saw a ms290, on Craigslist, well used selling for $425. WTF! I paid $400 6+ years ago, and it came with an extra chain and a 6 pack of 2-cycle oil. Maybe the saw has now some sentimental collector value. I have to rely on garage and yard sales for older saws, and some looked like they were once owned by Fred Flintstone. :)

That's what I saw when I was looking as some of the Stihl the prices were outrageous for an older saw.

I'm just going to start from the beginning and just maybe someone else will read this too and they would understand where I'm coming from.

It had been out for only about 2 weeks and I had noticed some pretty bad teeth and jaw pain. Which is strange because I usually didn't my mouth numbed when I had my teeth drilled i have a pretty high tolerance. So I went the the VA turns out the pain was because I started grinding my teeth in my sleep and were cracking them. Long story short they fixed it and I was told to find a hobby because i didn't feel like i was doing enough during the day. So one morning I woke up and thought too my self I'm going to make furniture, my grandfather had left me a wood shop that was loaded with only school stuff but I'm down for that kind of thing. I'm making a few pieces for one of my Marines who just had kids for free I believe they would take care of it.

I was originally looking for a McCullough 125 or 797 because I really bleed yellow for those saws and I love the sound of them. It was really annoying I couldn't find a 125/797 for sale even though a like a week earlier one sold for like 600. Looking at the older listings I had seen a few times they sold for 600-700 which was an easy purchase for me and I felt it was a good price for a well kept one. Then I started looking at a 880 or a 3120. A few weeks later I had the chance to run them back to back. After that I was extremely disappointed with the 880 comparatively. But couldn't find a good deal on the 3120s (which I still really really want) . One late night I was drinking a lot and I saw the listing. At First I turned my nose to the bay listing for the (105cc) Chinese saw (You know the one with only the picture of the muffler). But I figured I'd click on it anyways realized it was an 070 clone and in the next 2 hours (looking up reviews) I ordered one from huztl's website. My logic was this, even if the saw only lasted for two tables I was going to make a profit if I sold them in the DC/Arlington area basically paying for my hobby which isn't my livelihood. For a professional grade (ignoring no chain brake) I don't believe these saws have made a rep yet and I can already see some issues. Like the fuel line material for instance, the gas cap, and not yet but the oil cap. If someone wanted to do what I'm doing then why not with very basic skills they could get it running and be pleased.

The only reason I modified the saw was because I have a problem. I don't leave things stock. Whether it's a car,truck, guns, and now saws. I always look to push the envelope. I mean the truck I built when i was in is ported and polished the head to the manifold to the charger. with an aurora 5k charger, 4k gov, dual fuel P-pump, head studs, timing advance, 5x0.16 injectors, and now a billet trans. I broke 2 input shaft before i upgraded. It ran 12:52 in a quarter, a 7000 lbs vehicle and I still daily drove it.

Also at then end of this if you do get a 660 just tell me and it's yours.

I read it: Rock On!

Let the Low End Drag!!

I dont have my chrisPA patented audio wave rpm thingamajig, but that didnt sound like anywhere near 15k. Good on ya for posting some stuff and not bein thin skinned. Ports look no worse than any of the handful of saws ive done, all of em have little squiggles from the burr catching haha. Keep at it

I just picked up a complete 162se engine to port and balance. Then I’ll swap out the engine in one of my 162se saws that’s scored that I purchased. I’m going to port the piston besides the cylinder too.

Right now I’m designing a crankshaft balancing fixture. Balancing the lower rotating assembly should extend the bearing life.

Post away and never mind any ridicule. Always remember the Einstein quote “Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds”-My personal favorite.

I’d love to comment on your “porting”, but other than seeing you cut into the cylinder extension and a shot of your exhaust port (with no before view), I have no idea what you actually did to the cylinder.

Post away and never mind any ridicule. Always remember the Einstein quote “Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds”-My personal favorite.

I’d love to comment on your “porting”, but other than seeing you cut into the cylinder extension and a shot of your exhaust port (with no before view), I have no idea what you actually did to the cylinder.

Yeah I didn't take before photos. I never meant to open them up only to clean up. The ports were really bad castings they had jagged edges. When I tested the piston for fit they left pretty deeps marks.

Attachments

• 20180929_124653.jpg
    20180929_124653.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 31
Nice job but i agree it doesnt sound like 15k more like10-11k max. Still way better tgen the 7k they do stock. Id bet its pretty lean because it sou ded lean when you revved it up. Give it about a 1/8-1/4 ccw on the high may need more high thrn that. Did you hear as you leaned it revs dropped? Usually a saw when tuned right will go from 4 stroke to lean scream then rev dropping. Yours went right to dropping off which tells me it waa already at the lean scream. Keep it up i have one of my first 460 ported farmer tec jugs here you can laugh at if you want.

My guess is the tach is set for a four stroke and you are looking at just under 8k rpms.

Thanks, but I can't use the piston and cylinder either. Most people around here run Ranch saws. I saw a ms290, on Craigslist, well used selling for $425. WTF! I paid $400 6+ years ago, and it came with an extra chain and a 6 pack of 2-cycle oil. Maybe the saw has now some sentimental collector value. I have to rely on garage and yard sales for older saws, and some of them looked like they were once owned by Fred Flintstone. :)

Not to hijack but it’s unbelievable what people want for 029/290’s around me.. ive seen 350-500 $ range, very used o_O I’d rather pickup something 70+CC shipped in and I regret tossing a couple of blown 290’s away if I knew they’d be worth their weight in gold round here :laugh:

Back