Rock around the wood burning stove (pic heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stone looks great, between it and the tile they should hold a good amount of heat after the fire goes out. :clap:

I was going to give you some heat about that stove pipe and say that the wall looks great.

Single wall stove pipe must be 18" from combustibles and that includes the sheetrock paper or the wood mantle. Double wall stove pipe requires 6" to combustibles and is what you should be using if you can get the 6" even. Class A pipe only requires 2" but that is what you would use beyond the ceiling or wall penetration.

You will like the double wall pipe, it is two walls of stainless steel and will last the life of your stove, or at least as long as a new stove would last.

I recommend NOT using a magic heat device, they are creosote and chimney fire magnets. Better to burn your stove hot enough to make the heat you need.

I realize the pipe doesn't have to be insulated. However, we just paid to have the mantle installed above the rock. I don't want the heat to dry it out, so insulated pipe to help.

As long as the wood is well sealed and finished with a quality finish, you shouldnt have any problems with a single wall pipe.
Here is a pic of mine, nearing completion.We had no problems with the wood drying out or the finish deteriating last winter, and I dare say you wont run your stove any hotter than we run ours.There was a time or two when the whole stove was glowing red with a load of hickory in it.

Distance from the stove to the wood trim on the right is only 20 inches!

Distance from the stove to the wood trim on the right is only 20 inches!

[/QUOTE]

Is that charcoal lighter fluid, beside the stove?

Latest posts

Back