Roll call

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimmmed

B?rgermeister
Reaction score
How many turners do we have here? I know of a few, for sure

I started turning in Jan '03, it's a worse affliction than chainsaws :biggrinbounce2:

attachment.php

I used too. But raised a family. Still have a lathe in the shop. Have turned gumwood, tamarac, dogwood, yew, yellow cedar, cedar and others. Miss it but can't find the time. Liked the dogwood and yellow cedar the most. Turned the dogwood green was neat.
bob

Nice job puumies!

attachment.php

I know you don't get too many bites at the apple to make that fit.

Trimmmed do you sell your stuff? If so, where? Do you have a pricelist or website?

I do a couple of small shows a year, or I was. I didn't get out at all in 2006 though. Just didn't have the time. I don't have a website yet, although that is being considered ( read procrastinated ad infinitum) Hopefully this year I will get it in gear.

Fantastic Addiction

I've been turning on and off for 3 years with lengthy interruptions due to illness or professional grandparenting. It is a wonderous hobby especially for the buying addict. There is no end of expensive things to buy-just like chainsaws. I now have two big lathes, one midi and one mini, well over a dozen chucks and literally scores (probably about 75) turning chisels.
Having said this, there is nothing more soothing (outside of exercize) than turning at a lathe. I find that even when I make a mistake and turn an almost finished bowl into firewood, I smile a little and start another project. Finished bowls make great gifts and provide me with great satisfaction.
Incidentally, chainsaws are practically a necessity if you're going to go the
free wood route.

Just chiming in... I've dabbled a bit. I have a cheezy grizzly lathe (if that's what you want to call it). I'd love to really learn the craft but I have way too many hobbies already.

Let's see some more pictures. I really admire the skill it takes to create a well made piece.

I do a couple of small shows a year, or I was. I didn't get out at all in 2006 though. Just didn't have the time. I don't have a website yet, although that is being considered ( read procrastinated ad infinitum) Hopefully this year I will get it in gear.

I am into wooden bowls if I can afford one I would like to buy. I've seen pics on another thread. I am on dial up here and my internet time is limited or I would look it up. Post a link to that thread (for aggie) or I will get to it Wed. when I get home.

Just chiming in... I've dabbled a bit. I have a cheezy grizzly lathe (if that's what you want to call it). I'd love to really learn the craft but I have way too many hobbies already.

Let's see some more pictures. I really admire the skill it takes to create a well made piece.

Here is couple more.

Pauli

Hi all
My name is Mike T. I am a woodturner & carver they go hand in hand. I have been turning for about 10years I love it ! Theirs is a lot of turning clubs in New York. but not a lot of good store's. I will try to post some photo's
Nice to meet you all! mike t

Half know what you mean

Hi,

I almost know what you mean about stores. Here in Columbia there is a fabulous woodworking store (Mann) and they are increasingly committed to having woodturning supplies. In Virginia, between Charlottesville and Staunton, where I live half of the year, there is nothing within a hundred miles that's worth going to. You'll find what you need on the internet. I'll be happy to pass along websites in a personal email. Just let me know.

Great Work

Awfully neat. Makes me want to do spindles but I'm addicted to turning bowls. The most enjoyable piece of "furniture" I ever made was a rocking horse made almost entirely of 6/4 walnut with a maple saddle and enormous 8/4 ash rockers. Gave it to my first grandchild 6 years ago and it has withstood the best efforts of her sibs and friends to break it. I figure that she can give it to her grandchildren since it is so thick and sturdy.
I think that making things for children is the most rewarding kind of woodworking and I envy your creation. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Awfully neat. Makes me want to do spindles but I'm addicted to turning bowls. The most enjoyable piece of "furniture" I ever made was a rocking horse made almost entirely of 6/4 walnut with a maple saddle and enormous 8/4 ash rockers. Gave it to my first grandchild 6 years ago and it has withstood the best efforts of her sibs and friends to break it. I figure that she can give it to her grandchildren since it is so thick and sturdy.
I think that making things for children is the most rewarding kind of woodworking and I envy your creation. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you for the compliments. I cant really take any credit for design or original creativity on these little chairs. I started watching my late grandfather in his workshop when I was about 11 yrs. old or so. He let me start getting a feel for powertools when I was around 14-15 or so. He passed on about ten yrs ago and my mother and her siblings surprised me with the contents of his entire shop. They floored me to say the least. Anyhoo I have copied several of his projects with a little twist of my own thrown in from time to time. My nexy project is gonna be a cradle made of some cherry that I have in a sticker pile out back. Ive never turned a bowl or plate but have desired to do so for quite some time now.

The design is great... Serious chainsaws!!

Whether or not you had the original design, you made an awsome chair. I come from the opposite background. Never knew either grandfather as they were both killed in the Holocaust. My father couldn't boil water much less do anything mechanical. I grew up in the big city where even changing a light bulb was done by a super, so after a stint in Asia I came back and decided that I could actually learn how to do some things. I started with small electrical tools, learned how to be a bad plumber, bad electrician and mediocre carpenter. Eventually, I improved to fair-where I am now. Love all kinds of tools and am a tool junky. I notice you have some serious chainsaws. I just sold one and am down to 2 husky 372's, one 365, one stihl 660, a couple of smaller echos, one stihl 360, a 200 t.
If you take up bowl turning, or even if you like woodworking in general, you might join Sawmill Creek. Their turning forum is fantastic.... full of advice and good natured. Some of the chainsaw people get into p-ssing contests, but all I've ever gotten in Sawmill forum is good, honest advice.

More turnings

Here's a few I like to do. The wooden cups are about 5.5" tall and start out about 2 1/4" diameter. The opening is about 3" deep - just about down to the flare above the stem - which is 7/32" or 5.5mm in diameter. These are hand turned with standard tools on my old Delta 10" . Denser wood is better of course, but I've made them from lighter woods too.

The tagua nut bowl was turned with dental tools on the same lathe. Yes, there is a lip on the lid to keep it from dropping inside the bowl. The bowl is hollowed out somewhat - maybe 3/4" diameter.

Here's a few I like to do. The wooden cups are about 5.5" tall and start out about 2 1/4" diameter. The opening is about 3" deep - just about down to the flare above the stem - which is 7/32" or 5.5mm in diameter. These are hand turned with standard tools on my old Delta 10" . Denser wood is better of course, but I've made them from lighter woods too.

The tagua nut bowl was turned with dental tools on the same lathe. Yes, there is a lip on the lid to keep it from dropping inside the bowl. The bowl is hollowed out somewhat - maybe 3/4" diameter.

Nice pieces Buzz sawyer. I like the shade variations of the black willow cup. Where do you get this species from?

Back