Rope launcher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ran into this on a Ham Radio site. A version of a potato gun.

http://joplin-arc.org/antenna-launchers/

Antenna Launchers
The JARC Antenna Launcher Kit as featured in CQ Magazine.

Our antenna launcher kit lets you build an easy-to-use launcher

The antenna launcher uses air pressure to propel a mono-filament fishing
line, which you can then use to pull a heavier rope up over the tree.

video of launcher in action:

video of assembly and use:

-----------------------------------

Boy, can I see all kinds of uses at a GTG. Need dto rig up a backpack air tank to recharge. One might even use it to get a rope over a tree!

$50 for the kit or build your own for way less. Suppossedly the valve that
comes with the kit operates easier than the rgular ones from plumbing.

I like that. It looks safer to me than the combustible hair spray and spark ignition potato gun. I almost put together a potato gun, but I purchased the big launcher from Sherrilltree. It works off a 22 cal. blank shell. A little pricey but it is compact when packing it away in your bag of tricks to take out into the woods.

Made one with kids as project 20 yrs ago. PVC scares me as it shatters instead of cracks when it fails, and shrapnel goes everywhere and a long way, so I wound filament tape at 45 degrees all over it. Sharpen the outside edge of the barrel, push the spud in, and we started with I think about 40 psi of air. Shocked me, spud way out of sight, maybe went up 200-300 ft. When we went for distance, it would go at least 150 yards horizontal. Way fun toy that summer. Never went much about 50 psi for air then, which made me a bit more warm and fuzzy.
I used air compressor. Wouldn't be too exciting with hand pump in the woods unless the truck had air. Or maybe use a BigShot giant sling shot for the pole saw pole. Way out of my league.

Latest posts

Back