rope or cable for chipper winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I like the rope from what I've tried on demos.... the cable gets kinked, and is bound to fray and tear up skin.... The bandit dealer has one l\oaded with cable, saying it is thinner and they can get more feet onto the spool.... I think they might just be going for the cable cause it is cheaper...

What kind of rope is prefered?

Your input is appreciated...
Thanks

is this winch on a Atv or something else ?

EDIT sorry I didnt see the chipper in the title

Last edited:
I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard that Amsteel Blue is finer than frogs hair for winching. The 3/8 is 19.6k tensile, but it costs $2.60/ft.

I've got 1/2 inch bluestreak on mine right now and its worked out pretty good. I think it held about 110 feet. When I go to replace it I think I will try 5/16 amsteel. Try searching on ebay for it, I think I saw some pretty cheap on there a while back.

Hey, Murph, good to hear from ya!! Hope all is well!!

3/8th Spectra(regular Amsteel) is all you need....cheaper than Amsteel Blue or Plasma. I get mine super cheap, prolly under $1 a foot. I could prolly buy 600 feet and ship it to folks in 200 foot lengths. I put 150 feet on my 250XP and the spool would have help 200....

Last edited:
I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard that Amsteel Blue is finer than frogs hair for winching. The 3/8 is 19.6k tensile, but it costs $2.60/ft.

highway robbery. I can get 1/2 inch Plasma (same stuff) for under $2 a foot, from my awesome supplier.

Dyneema/spectra line is great for winches. Will have to be replaced a little more than steel, but it also never slices your hands open.

You won't regret it, even if you pay full retail for the rope.

The only reason they have steel on the one they are selling is they don't know any better and they don't wanna learn or teach.

love
nick

I side with rope - not only will it not cut you up, but if it happens to snap under load, rope will not whip around and cut you open if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

I like the idea of rope too, easier to handle, no grease getting all over the place...

As for what cordage, it would have to be a low streach, which lowers the SWL. So it comes down to how long you need and how much you want to pay.

The nylon ropes would wear better then the high tech fibers, and is cheaper. The high priced high tech fibers will allow more footage on the drum, but replacement costs will be exponetially higher. E.g. twice the price and twice the footage for people like me who need simple math.

From what I've heard/read you it would be best to have some web hose fitted over the splice eye for the hook/shackel on the high tech stuff.

I've got 1/2 in stable braid from SEAMAR.com for around .60/ft uncoated, if they make it in very low streach, I do not know. The sales person could help in finding a suitable product.

JP, UHMWPE (spectra/vectran/dyneema)ropes can be used at nearly their full rated tensile strength with no issues...not shock loaded, of course.

Stable braid is low stretch, but UHMW ropes are effectively nearly zero stretch, at least at under 30% of MBS.

UHMWPE= ultra high molecular weight polyethylene

Hey, Murph, good to hear from ya!! Hope all is well!!

3/8th Spectra(regular Amsteel) is all you need....cheaper than Amsteel Blue or Plasma. I get mine super cheap, prolly under $1 a foot. I could prolly buy 600 feet and ship it to folks in 200 foot lengths. I put 150 feet on my 250XP and the spool would have help 200....
Hey what year is this 250xp? Trying to figure out how much line mine can hold.

I like a good frayed up steel cable on my chipper. You can tell the puss-ies right off by the way they handle it.. especially if there's not a pair of gloves to be seen for miles. Like a friend of mine once said "blood is good".:laugh:

I like a good frayed up steel cable on my chipper. You can tell the puss-ies right off by the way they handle it.. especially if there's not a pair of gloves to be seen for miles. Like a friend of mine once said "blood is good".:laugh:
Good maybe you will like it more in your chipper ! In that case you can eat glass to show us how tough you really are. :buttkick:

You ever haul 50 feet up in a tree are you that stupid to not know it is better puss? Do you limb with an 066 tough guy?

I've hauled everything from skidder cables and chokers to chipper winch cables up a tree. I generally use a rope and a double bowline for anything in the 50' range these days though. And if I haul anything other than a husky up its gonna be a 200t.

Latest posts

Back