rope tail management

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys have a good way of dealing with your tail while in the tree. It doesn't often become a problem for me, but when doing big spready trees with a lot of lowering the tail pretty much always ends up getting tangled in the branch being lowered. I've tried most of the usual ways - use the shortest rope I can, or if in a big tree I'll swap out to a shorter rope to work the canopy if its going to be an all day'er. tried having groudies trey to keep the rope behind the tree or over the fence, doesnt seem to help much. Tried lifting and coiling my rope and hanging it off my harness which just seemed dangerous to me.

Seems like one of the better attractions of SRT is that you can keep the 'tail' pretty much as short as you like and have only a few feet on the ground. Would be nice to have a way of managing the tail while on doubled rope though.

Shaun

I've lately on crane jobs been hanging a canvas tool bag from my belt with my climbing line in it. It keeps it from catching on stuff when the crane is lifting me up to hook the cable. When I lower my self for the cut I just put the slack back in the bag. The tool bag has a big opening and is deep enough to take 150 ft of rope no problem.
Not perfect, but might work for you.

I make smallish coils, girth hitch the runner around the coils and clip it to the saddle or hang it off of a limb.

I make smallish coils, girth hitch the runner around the coils and clip it to the saddle or hang it off of a limb.

Ya i been using a a sherrill rope bag forever now. its not to bad. can be time consuming putting all the rope back in it.

Try a good Rope Bag or plastic bucket on the Ground or even in the Tree Loop Runner and a Carabiner above it a twoFeet or so.
Rope feeds out and up from the Bag throught the Carabiner and on to you, Rope going down through the carabiner and on onto the bag. I have been through this over just having my Rope tanged up in the brush or not putting My Rope into any Chipper. Done this Bag on Ground or up 10 or more feet up in Tree. just mush have A STRIGHT DROP FOR ROPE DOWN INTO Bag or Bucket

canvas bag

I like the canvas bag idea, I found one @ harbor freight the other day for around $20 bucks. It had a wide enough opening to where the tail could possibly go right in as you advance... Haven't tried it yet but I hope to soon... Best of luck to you. Let us know what you come up with.

I like the canvas bag idea, I found one @ harbor freight the other day for around $20 bucks. It had a wide enough opening to where the tail could possibly go right in as you advance... Haven't tried it yet but I hope to soon... Best of luck to you. Let us know what you come up with.

That is the same bag I use. I got a few of them when they were on sale for 16.00 at harbor freight. I just hang it off my saddle with a non-locking carabiner on crane jobs. Some times on really bushy trees it get in the way some, but it beats worrying that my rope might get caught on some thing and split me in two.

Go to Home Depot. You can get some cheap 5 gallon pails with a cheap lid for under $6. Drill a hole in the lid or cut it with a construction knife to fit line.

That is the same bag I use. I got a few of them when they were on sale for 16.00 at harbor freight. I just hang it off my saddle with a non-locking carabiner on crane jobs. Some times on really bushy trees it get in the way some, but it beats worrying that my rope might get caught on some thing and split me in two.

Looks like this guy needs a canvas bag @ 2:41 in... Smh. All I can say is common sense...DUHHH!

[video=youtube;oGNl5QGFd6Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGNl5QGFd6Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Well he is known for his total lack of common sense... amazing he is still alive.

He should call himself the senseless tree guy, he definitely ain't no arborist.... I wish he would have showed what his rope looked like where that log snagged it...It also appeared that the cameraman tried to stop him from cutting before he got the bar stuck but with no success... Haha.. your right about it being amazing he is still alive... Jesus Christ... I guess the man upstairs has a plan for him to keep making how "not" to videos...:D

Latest posts

Back