rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice

treeman82 said:
I'm going tomorrow to pick up some new slings I had made up at Muench. Both double esterlon because the guy only carries Yale and NER, 1" and 3/4". Tensiles are 44,000 and 20,000 respectively.
thank god he started splicing, i just got a one inch tenex whoopie sling from wesspur a little tough to handle but it is sweet

PB, I have never done it and am qualified to talk about it because I have hung tops using a bucket truck, seen what happens, no thanks. Yes I read Toms post again, notice he says that you can always rig smaller pieces, hmmm, wonder why he says that. You ain't gonna get any money from 6' logs Tom, and not being retarded I would not rig logs at 18'6'' (min. size usually). I love it, you guys beak of about how I climb being wrong but risk your ass lowering big wood of a spar that has a load rating you guess at. People have been killed lowering big wood, the spar failed, obviously because they overloaded it by shock or wieght or whatever, bottom line if they hammered it, they would have lived. It will be a cold day in hell when I care more for someones garden or a money log than my own life, give your heads a good shake.

Locally, we had a man rig off the bucket he was in. The load snatched the bucket down, the line broke and the sudden release threw him from the bucket 60' up.

The man telling me about it; de-scribed in detail what it was like to witness his own brother whom he'd always known and worked with go from laughing full of life to hitting the ground and exploding as he crushed head first down to his pelvis; 10 feet from this witness minutes later.

i don't think i'll ever forget the chill of standing there in the vacumm listening to that...

Just so there is no misunderstanding, Spyder, I was not hanging tops from the bucket, I was using the bucket to hang a big top from the same tree. Moved the bucket away as it went over, see it whip! How about hanging big Hemlock pieces, for example? You know, the Hemlocks that look great but are really just a pipe, full of rot? That is a sad story, I feel sorry for his brother.

relax

clearance said:
PB, I have never done it and am qualified to talk about it because I have hung tops using a bucket truck, seen what happens, no thanks. Yes I read Toms post again, notice he says that you can always rig smaller pieces, hmmm, wonder why he says that. You ain't gonna get any money from 6' logs Tom, and not being retarded I would not rig logs at 18'6'' (min. size usually). I love it, you guys beak of about how I climb being wrong but risk your ass lowering big wood of a spar that has a load rating you guess at. People have been killed lowering big wood, the spar failed, obviously because they overloaded it by shock or wieght or whatever, bottom line if they hammered it, they would have lived. It will be a cold day in hell when I care more for someones garden or a money log than my own life, give your heads a good shake.
clearance relax no one thinks you climb wrong, rigging from the tree your in is sometimes the only option when you have structures below and you have no access(ie bucket crane)and cutting it smaller is the safest option, sure the exercise is to make money but you dont want accidents either. the whipping of the tree can be reduced by a good groundie and a block.

clearance,
how can you say it is retarted to rope off thee tree you're in
when you have'nt done it.Also there is a science behind how much weight a tree can support and as an arborist/climber you should know.I would never endanger my life out of reckless behavior but i rope big wood all the time.Its how I make a living,contracting with companies who's equipment can't reach and climbers won't climb

that's a good article...that's what i like about this site... i've never blocked down a tree in this fashion...just used nearby trees and tag lines...the first time a experienced serious oscillation, taking the top off a hemi i nearly mucked myself...then i whooped with excilleration...what a rush!

Back