rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slvrmple72

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
please excuse a noob question. ive been unable to find anything saying that its an unwise practice to climb a new rigging line. (one thats never been shock loaded.)

im looking at the price of arbor-master 1/2" rigging line at $49 for 150 feet. its got a 6300lb avg breaking strength, which exceeds the 5,400lb min to climb with. i assume 3 strand feels odd compared to 12 or 16, but tree master is a common climbing line still sold today in 3 strand which apparently was the norm back in the day.

if i buy the arbor-master to do very light rigging duty (small limbs, no shocking at all), is there is any reason i cant climb it when convenient from time to time?

You can entertain those risks you feel comfortable with just remember to regularly inspect your ropes for wear or damage and to replace/downgrade them at appropriate intervals for the amonut of work/years they are in use. Make sure you can distinguish between the types of rope and what you are using them for if you are going to use a light duty rigging rope for descents!

mcb

ArboristSite Operative
thanks for the help.

good point about distinguishing them. i dont see myself climbing the 3 strand often (i have dedicated climbing ropes) but i figured i should ask now before finding myself in a situation of being tempted for the sake of convenience, and finding out the hard way its a no-no.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
Arborist climbing and rigging ropes can last a long time if used at the suggested max loads of 5% of max breaking strength for climbing and a max of 10% for rigging. The use of pulleys for rigging and friction savers for climbing also greatly extend rope life. Of course keeping ropes out of the dirt and away from chainsaws helps a lot too.

I may be missing some big names in rope but New England Rope, Samson Rope and Yale Rope make up a very large percentage of the market.

Dan

Sun is a big factor in rope life as well, most ropes are duty cycle tested
so durability can be attained. A climb rope properly stored and cared for
could easily last many years, I climb on you first two almost predominantly
I like stranded no block or braid over pulley block I will not use anything
that is not made for the tree industry in my business. Someone said
something about cutting cost on limb lines nope. I use stable braid
for my rigging nothing worse than being over rated on a climb line
and using inferior rope to rig and snap boom bang you are an idiot!

Latest posts