Round-up Ready Sweetcorn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Genius.

Disclaimer: this is not for me.

Dad is wanting to plant a few rows of Sweetcorn. The way he used to do it is turn a row off on the corn planter when we plant and come back and replant sweetcorn. But we use all round-up ready corn, so that option isn't available to him for his sweetcorn until the past few years when RR corn became available.

But the only way to get the stuff is buying it in bulk, but he is only wanting 1/2 pound max.

Do any if you guys know where to find it in small quantities?

I'm not going to get into the whole Monsanto/ Round-Up discussion.

Like I said, this is what my dad wants. I would never plant it, I don't condone it, but I told him I'd check around anyway.

Genius.

Monsanto just became above the law by exec. Order.

They are gonna have field scouts looking at the dent anyhow.

I dunno...

Bullet proof the dogs if you do find any.:D

It's a hot topic around here.
Several of the sweetcorn guys tried to purchase but didn't meet requirements, because they sell customer direct on a small scale.
It's almost like Monsanto is worried about every Granny in the Midwest growing a 1/4 acre patch, and the genes getting off the leash to the point of the patent bieng worthless or something...odd.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'll ask around.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've not heard of any on the market yet but it's sure to come out sometime.

I think this will be the third year on the market. But it's only available in large bags for the big producers.

I prefer good ole Peaches and Cream.

Sweetcorn doesn't get any better than that.

Screw the extra extra extra extra extra extra extra sweet stuff.

smallest quanity available is 25M. price is between $10-14 per thousand. if you are growing RR field corn then you already have the license.Seigers seeds in MI has it in their catalog.

Last edited:
smallest quanity available is 25M. price is between $10-14 per thousand. if you are growing RR field corn then you already have the license.Seigers seeds in MI has it in their catalog.

Yea, Siegers is a few miles away, but like you said, only in large quantities. Dads only looking for 1/2 pound or so.

He's making calls to a few grower friends who might use it and see if they can spare a little, but nobody here uses it.

Roundupready doesn't bother me, the BT gene that comes with it does. Hippies don't want to come out and help hoe, so you fib on your RR field corn and nuke the sweetcorn with Atrazine. Father killed thisles with an orchard mist blower and Atrazine back in the day in corn.

Roundupready doesn't bother me, the BT gene that comes with it does. Hippies don't want to come out and help hoe, so you fib on your RR field corn and nuke the sweetcorn with Atrazine. Father killed thisles with an orchard mist blower and Atrazine back in the day in corn.

actually the BT gene is a naturally occurring organism found in soil worldwide.unlike atrazine which is a chemical. there are lots of GM products out there that you wouldn't think of.insulin is one and also some thyroid medicines. judicious use of any product we use on our food is important. not advocating use of any product, its everyones choice. i use different things on the produce i grow . i work in it and eat all that i grow(except habaneros).l i'm required to attend food safety classes yearly and i try to stay on top of all the things going on. one mistake on my part and i could be out of business.

ps. an old hippie that hates to hoe:laugh:

actually the BT gene is a naturally occurring organism found in soil worldwide.unlike atrazine which is a chemical.

Water is naturally occurring, but going for a swim wearing cement shoes generally ends badly.

There's more important things then trying to simplify stuff down to "this is natural...but that's a chemical."

I prefer good ole Peaches and Cream.

Sweetcorn doesn't get any better than that.

I like that, and Incredible. My first planting this year was a wash. Just replanted today, and all they had was Merit. Hope it's good too.

Planted some RR peaches & cream 2 weeks ago. Got it from local co-op. Math turned out to be $.63 kernel! First year trying so no feedback to give on how it does.

Planted some RR peaches & cream 2 weeks ago. Got it from local co-op. Math turned out to be $.63 kernel! First year trying so no feedback to give on how it does.

Holy crap!!

For that price your better off going to the local sweetcorn stand to buy it.

Yes, Incredible is incredible! I've grown it for a dozen or so years.

Another great corn I grew for the first time last year is:

Montauk (F1) (synergistic) (Treated) - Johnny's Selected Seeds

hey Del that Montauk is awesome,been growin it since it first came out several years ago.customers love it. if you think incredible (SE) is good,try Honey Select(SY). my diehard incredible customers threw a hissy fit when i switched to honey select, now there's no lookin back. also colorow (sy) is a great yellow. i am a tightwad when it comes to buying seeds and have found Seigers Seeds out of MI to have very good prices.

hey Del that Montauk is awesome,been growin it since it first came out several years ago.customers love it. if you think incredible (SE) is good,try Honey Select(SY). my diehard incredible customers threw a hissy fit when i switched to honey select, now there's no lookin back. also colorow (sy) is a great yellow. i am a tightwad when it comes to buying seeds and have found Seigers Seeds out of MI to have very good prices.

I think I'll give some of those varieties a try next year. I may order them now, while it's fresh on my mind. They ought to keep if I freeze them. What do y'all think?

Latest posts

Back