Round-up Ready Sweetcorn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know much about Bt and GMO's, but the rest of the world is not going along with us (the US) on this stuff. Its wonderful, and the cheapest, easiest way to go as far as weeds. But if there isn't any honey bees, it won't matter how clean the rows are. Just recently Japan has banned rice imports from here because some GMO was mixed in. One of the by products of RoundupReady crops is glyphosate resistant coca and pot plants.

As far as cultivating goes, many have done it to break up the capillary action of the soil to save moisture, and the hillers or ridgebuilders do the same.

Can't say I have an aversion to eating good sweet corn, but the high fructose corn syrup intake has been curtailed severely. Even going without ketchup.

As sophisticated as many of the sprayers are today, you could have shut the sprayer off, and maybe you would have missed as few as 4 rows and the few feet before and after the beginning and the end of the sweet corn.

I don't know much about Bt and GMO's, but the rest of the world is not going along with us (the US) on this stuff. Its wonderful, and the cheapest, easiest way to go as far as weeds. But if there isn't any honey bees, it won't matter how clean the rows are. Just recently Japan has banned rice imports from here because some GMO was mixed in. One of the by products of RoundupReady crops is glyphosate resistant coca and pot plants.

As far as cultivating goes, many have done it to break up the capillary action of the soil to save moisture, and the hillers or ridgebuilders do the same.

Can't say I have an aversion to eating good sweet corn, but the high fructose corn syrup intake has been curtailed severely. Even going without ketchup.

As sophisticated as many of the sprayers are today, you could have shut the sprayer off, and maybe you would have missed as few as 4 rows and the few feet before and after the beginning and the end of the sweet corn.

Are you saying that the ground gets wetter when you cultivate?

Many an old timer will tell you you save more moisture that way. I tend to agree. Of course, its to what degree you mix the soil up-if you go 6" deep, you will have 6" of dry dirt (and be a moron).

And if the next rain runs off the crust instead of soaks in, how much did you "save"?

The reason why people aren't going along with us is b/c people are scared and completely ignorant on the subject. Most, if not all, the average layperson knows about GMO's they got it off the internet. As we've all seen the State Farm commercials about the girl believing everything on the internet, we know that's not a best way to learn about GMO's. There are sites out there i.e., Mother Earth News, Huffington Post, etc that will blame GMO's for everything under the sun. Listen, hundreds of studies have been done, over and over again, trying to find out if GMO's are harmful in any way. Studies have even been done by anti-GMO groups and were proven as safe as the control group. The science behind genetics is right up there with astrophysics and molecular biology. It's not high school level biology class...Admittedly, GMO's are relatively new (corn in 1996), and like a previous poster commented how electricity wasn't accepted right away, we can expect the same here.

In this post for example, the writer says he doesn't know a lot about Bt or GMO's. Yet his comments about bee colony collapse would suggest that GMO's were responsible. I guess he didn't hear that the Varroa mite was proven to be the carrier of the virus that causes Colony Collapse Disorder and not GMO's as they had been blamed before.

Also, Japan isn't banning imported rice, it's wheat after it showed up in a US farm recently. And as for resistant coca plants and pot plants...well I'm not sure where he was going with that.

My point is, all these rumors keep getting paraded around as gospel, when there isn't a lick of truth to any of it.

The reason why people aren't going along with us is b/c people are scared and completely ignorant on the subject. Most, if not all, the average layperson knows about GMO's they got it off the internet. As we've all seen the State Farm commercials about the girl believing everything on the internet, we know that's not a best way to learn about GMO's. There are sites out there i.e., Mother Earth News, Huffington Post, etc that will blame GMO's for everything under the sun. Listen, hundreds of studies have been done, over and over again, trying to find out if GMO's are harmful in any way. Studies have even been done by anti-GMO groups and were proven as safe as the control group. The science behind genetics is right up there with astrophysics and molecular biology. It's not high school level biology class...Admittedly, GMO's are relatively new (corn in 1996), and like a previous poster commented how electricity wasn't accepted right away, we can expect the same here.

In this post for example, the writer says he doesn't know a lot about Bt or GMO's. Yet his comments about bee colony collapse would suggest that GMO's were responsible. I guess he didn't hear that the Varroa mite was proven to be the carrier of the virus that causes Colony Collapse Disorder and not GMO's as they had been blamed before.

Also, Japan isn't banning imported rice, it's wheat after it showed up in a US farm recently. And as for resistant coca plants and pot plants...well I'm not sure where he was going with that.

My point is, all these rumors keep getting paraded around as gospel, when there isn't a lick of truth to any of it.

Yes, GMO wheat, not rice. Heard and know much about the Varroa mite. Varroa mites have been around for many years, yet now the bees seem more susceptible to them. Why?

Where I was going with the other resistant plants is that there are going to be many side effects not known or even looked for, because we don't know what they are or will be. No doubt a cartel or two got the jump on a scientist or biologist and coerced them. So now what happens, and whats next?

If BP/Exxon and Shell started running out every other oil company, farmers and others would be upset, yet Monsanto and Syngenta seem to be doing that, and have our governments permission.

Agent Orange was a great thing. So was (and actually still is) DDT. Both had been tested and found safe, both did a great job, and both were found to be the cause of something harmful not related to the job each did later.

I am not condemning GMO's, but the record is clear so far. The US will be the only place they are used for some time, and this will be either a great thing or an impending disaster. I know I don't know which.

I do know Monsanto makes money either way. And excluding them from fault in a court of law is ignorant.

Many an old timer will tell you you save more moisture that way. I tend to agree. Of course, its to what degree you mix the soil up-if you go 6" deep, you will have 6" of dry dirt (and be a moron).

And if the next rain runs off the crust instead of soaks in, how much did you "save"?

Actually, with no-til, we are able to keep moisture in the ground better and longer than conventional guys.

Our soil is loaded with worms, and fungal residue, so it's not hard packed at all, so rain gets into the ground, but the crust on top keeps the moisture in the ground too.

When our corn is over 8" tall we go through and side dress it with 28%. Our side dresser has knives like a anhydrous applicator, just a slit and the 28% gets squirted down.

hey LD,dad 83yrs.old always told me to cultivate if if got dry. i was skeptical till i tried it. his theory was to loosen the ground so that any moisture in the sub soil would try to evaporate and be captured by the corn roots.by dang i think he's right.only time i didn't have good corn was when it got to hot an killed the silk before pollination.it may depend on your soil type if this will work in any given situation.

hey LD,dad 83yrs.old always told me to cultivate if if got dry. i was skeptical till i tried it. his theory was to loosen the ground so that any moisture in the sub soil would try to evaporate and be captured by the corn roots.by dang i think he's right.only time i didn't have good corn was when it got to hot an killed the silk before pollination.it may depend on your soil type if this will work in any given situation.

It's our observation that when cultivating and loosening the soil up it exposes the moisture in the soil to the air and it evaporates before the crops can use it. But, in our fields we have 5 years of stalk, stubble ect laying in the fields and that layer helps keep moisture in too.

+1

About cultivating and moisture loss..I'm sure it must have a lot to do with soil type. We have extremely sandy soil here that compacts heavily and when its is loosened with a 6" cultivator shovel, but not a ripper point, you will dry out the soil to talcum powder within a day. Of course you're not using a ripper point to cultivate weeds, that would only piss them off. Starting in July, here in our part of the country its all about moisture conservation and you wouldn't think of breaking open your soil to the air. But then again, by July the corn is drying down anyway. Today it is 97 degrees, bright sun, and a steady wind.

If I am going to plant a final crop of sweet corn in September to harvest in late November I am going to have to be mindful of soil moisture. Sometimes we get a tropical storm or a hurricane and brings us rain then it's a no-brainer, but usually its still dusty dry in late August.

Gotta love it . The farm has a few laying hens(60) used to sell the local flea market eggs for thier breakfasts they put on.. Not now the local health dept nazis say they can only use commercially produced eggs. I forsee not being able to sell farm fresh eggs at all.

Health Departments ... we're from the Government and here to help you.

They do do some good things (they do come up with interesting stories from the vendors who drift through the various fairs in our area); but other times they can't see healthy for the rule book.

Fortunately we can buy local backyard / small farm eggs and raw milk (both farm and retail) here still.

Though for the firehouse chicken barbecue, the foil-wrapped baked potatoes must be baked in a commercial kitchen because, you know...home stoves aren't inspected :laugh:

Last edited:
The only time in my life I have had bacon wrapped tenderloin is when the hog farmer got it in from the food pantry hub and couldn't feed it and I headed it off before the mink farm. Yet the food pantries cry for more, 15 ton of taters with a soft one in the bag, gone. I am all up and all done with hungry people when I can eat off the hog farm truck from second harvest.

Latest posts

Back