Rounded out my milling saw fleet today - 084 AVEQ

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at it tonight, and the 25" Cannon roller-nose bar I have is going to need quite a few more links than the 84DL chains I have for the 12mm-mount 25" Stihl bars. I'll probably go pick a chain up for it tomorrow as I have a couple logs all lined up ready to be milled out back. I did try fitting a low-pro chain in it and the rails are still nice and tight for .050 - I haven't decided if I'll go with standard semi-chisel or low-profile. I'm not convinced I'd notice a big difference in speed going to low-profile on a 121cc powerhead in <20" of wood though, and the cutters on standard chain wear a lot better, so I'm leaning that way right now. It'll chew up a bit more wood in the kerf, but not enough to really matter much.
Brad,

Could this be an opportunity to try out that Inject-A-Sharp carbide chain? Let us know if you do.

Yes, as soon as the cashflow catches up! I'm not going to place an order for just a SINGLE chain, though. I'm debating getting another Meteor piston for my other 066 if/when they come back in stock, so if I do that I'll throw a chain on too.

I just went and got a standard .050 Oregon ripping chain from my dealer for that roller-nose today. It came out to 92DL rather than the 84DL my small-mount 25" Stihl bars take (and $40 rather than $20 at Bailey's; even 92DL of the Carbide chain is only $32). Thought I'd try the regular stuff before buying a low-pro chain for it, given that the saw it's going on is twice the displacement of the max recommended engine size for the LP chain. I've had good luck with the 066 at +50% displacement but even I am willing to admit the 084 is really pushing the limits. I'm probably going to splice a few inches into my older half-worn-out LP milling chain and see how that does, if I can find the dang thing... If it holds up I'll order some of the carbide for it.

Last edited:
I looked at it tonight, and the 25" Cannon roller-nose bar I have is going to need quite a few more links than the 84DL chains I have for the 12mm-mount 25" Stihl bars.

Yup, the Cannon bars take a few extra links, but well worth it. Definately the best bar around, and I think the extra hardness on the rails is a big benefit in milling since the groove will last longer. I only use Cannon bars on my three saws, plus they're made locally.

Yesterday afternoon I got around to trying the new 084 out on a log. Just an old 14' long piece of D Fir I've had kicking around for two years. It was heavily checked in the ends so I decided to cut a BHC 8X8 out of the center and take what I could get from the slabs.

First though, I assembled my new guide board:

attachment.php

I have no idea why the camera makes the ends look so far off of parallel with each other. I can assure that they aren't.

I've had those two 14' sections of 1-1/2" Aluminum angle for two years now and am just getting around to putting it to use! No, I don't procrastinate...:givebeer: They're screwed in at 2' intervals, and I countersunk 1" holes with a Forstner bit in 1' intervals down the center. The centers of these were then drilled through with a 3/8" bit; these holes are for lag bolts to secure the board to the top of the log; these lags can also be used to pull certain parts of the board down tighter to fine-tune the straightness of the guide if necessary.

attachment.php

Cost me $40 for a 92DL Oregon standard semi-chisel 3/8" ripping chain.:buttkick::buttkick: It fits the bar like a glove. Got some fresh grease on the nose to make sure it's lubed up after hanging on a nail for who knows how many years.

attachment.php

The 084 looks pretty good on the mill! Just a bit funny with that baby bar. It's not very common to find an 084 with just a half-wrap handle; I'm quite glad this one is though.

attachment.php

Here I have the top and 8" deep bottom cuts done and have snapped a chalkline at 4" from center for the next cut with the vertical mill. It was getting later in the evening at this point, and my neighbor came over to see what I was up to, so this is as far as I've gotten so far.

I have to say I was quite underwhelmed with the cut speed - BUT, that was with the chain in 100% stock form on a saw that was turning a few hundred fewer RPMs than the 066 w/ low-profile in that size of wood. Not exactly a fair test of its abilities! I'm going to take the FOP to the rakers to see if that changes things much; if not I'll take them down a couple strokes by eye to get the chain to bite a bit more. It was feeding alright; actually I found myself putting a lot more effort into keeping the mill balanced and flat than actually pushing into the cut - though I could push pretty much as hard as I wanted without bogging 'er down any. A 25" bar does not really balance well on a saw of this size, nor do I think such a saw is really necessary in softwood like this.

I have no idea why the camera makes the ends look so far off of parallel with each other.
My camera is exactly the same way. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have to say I was quite underwhelmed with the cut speed
8 pin or 7 ?

I could push pretty much as hard as I wanted without bogging 'er down any.
That's where it is going to shine. Big wood and aggressive rakers.

Thanks for the update, Brad. Your 084 looks sweet.

The 084 looks pretty good on the mill! Just a bit funny with that baby bar. It's not very common to find an 084 with just a half-wrap handle; I'm quite glad this one is though.

The half wrap handle is a help for the last couple boards out of the slabs. The saw looks pretty good with that 25" bar, how is the groove on it?

Here's a shot of our 85cc re-sawing with the 16" lo-pro bar mounted. With the big felling dogs on, it maxes out around a 6" cut. :)
attachment.php

The bar groove is immaculate; whoever had it before had never used it since having it ground & serviced. It even holds a low-profile chain nice and tight. The roller has a bit of mushrooming that should file out with no problems; that's not an issue with milling though.

I know Aggie was quite a proponent of .325 chain at one time, but he hasn't been around here much lately so I'm not sure.

I still pop in from time to time.:D

You are correct about my use of .325 on up to a 42" bar. I tried a 66" bar once. Didn't break but stretched like a rubber band.

For me, .325 has the same advantages as lopro chain but it can withstand the power of the 084 due to a full depth tie strap. You just can't force it and must keep it sharp. I make a cut or three depending on the log and swap chains. This only takes me about 2 minutes the way I have my saw and mill set up. As long as you keep the chain speed up it cuts very well even in hard woods like Post Oak and Pecan.

:cheers:

Nice setup!!!

Yesterday afternoon I got around to trying the new 084 out on a log. Just an old 14' long piece of D Fir I've had kicking around for two years. It was heavily checked in the ends so I decided to cut a BHC 8X8 out of the center and take what I could get from the slabs.

First though, I assembled my new guide board:

attachment.php

I have no idea why the camera makes the ends look so far off of parallel with each other. I can assure that they aren't.

I've had those two 14' sections of 1-1/2" Aluminum angle for two years now and am just getting around to putting it to use! No, I don't procrastinate...:givebeer: They're screwed in at 2' intervals, and I countersunk 1" holes with a Forstner bit in 1' intervals down the center. The centers of these were then drilled through with a 3/8" bit; these holes are for lag bolts to secure the board to the top of the log; these lags can also be used to pull certain parts of the board down tighter to fine-tune the straightness of the guide if necessary.

attachment.php

Cost me $40 for a 92DL Oregon standard semi-chisel 3/8" ripping chain.:buttkick::buttkick: It fits the bar like a glove. Got some fresh grease on the nose to make sure it's lubed up after hanging on a nail for who knows how many years.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here I have the top and 8" deep bottom cuts done and have snapped a chalkline at 4" from center for the next cut with the vertical mill. It was getting later in the evening at this point, and my neighbor came over to see what I was up to, so this is as far as I've gotten so far.

I have to say I was quite underwhelmed with the cut speed - BUT, that was with the chain in 100% stock form on a saw that was turning a few hundred fewer RPMs than the 066 w/ low-profile in that size of wood. Not exactly a fair test of its abilities! I'm going to take the FOP to the rakers to see if that changes things much; if not I'll take them down a couple strokes by eye to get the chain to bite a bit more. It was feeding alright; actually I found myself putting a lot more effort into keeping the mill balanced and flat than actually pushing into the cut - though I could push pretty much as hard as I wanted without bogging 'er down any. A 25" bar does not really balance well on a saw of this size, nor do I think such a saw is really necessary in softwood like this.

Looks like you in love with that saw...LOL!! Man,,,,Thats a great purchase you made.....I love it too!!!

that's a good milling saw, i also use a 084 for milling.
please be warned, that stock filter setup is NOT suitable for milling it will clog up after 2 minutes of ripping.
mine has a v-stack with K&N filter now.

Latest posts

Back