RPM's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl460

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My MS460 (which is roughly 7 years old now) has been used for production for most of its life.

skidder operator broke the chain brake handle off it being clumsy so we sent it into the saw shop, they always do us good and take the saw completely apart and clean it, they compression test it, the whole nine yards. when i picked it up i was told it was running too high rmps and they turned it down. :( still cuts fine and i love the saw but i was just curious whats safe rpms for this saw to run? the guy at the saw shop said he tached it at 16000, and turned it down to about 14500, im not gonna question him he knows his stuff, just curious if he saved my saw from blowing up

basicly it was running to lean which causes fuel starvation which leads to lubrication starvation (oil in your gas) which could of seized your saw could of saved it just in time me thinks

makes sense, thanks, im still learning the details about my saw care/maintenance im a strong believer in taking care of my equiptment but i'm limited to the knowledge i have lol so when i believe ive reached my limits i like to get a more knowledgeable person to help.

speaking of lubricants, what do y'all think of that Amsoil Saber? It seems to have done me good so far, a fellow logger friend of mine used to blow up a 660 roughly every 2 years (thats when i decided i needed to take better care of MY saws lol) he was using the stihl oil that is recommended (by stihl of course) but he switched to the amsoil and hasnt blown one up since and i believe its been just shy of a decade

I think the guy at the saw shop is "Full of it"! Knee deep....
16,000 rpms(?!) and he turned it down to 14,500? No way! He is misinformed,B.S.ing,or his tach is wrong. No production saw or work saw turns those kind of rpms,anyone trying to make a stock saw or work saw rev that high would have it way too lean and most stock saws CANT rev that high.
A modern work saw or modded saw should rev between 12,000 to 13000 maximum depending on what kind of work they do. A good competition saw can be set at 14,000- 14,500,but their running time is brief.
It's one thing to brag or stretch the truth a little,but telling people to try to make their saws rev like that is almost sabotage in my opinion....

In my own opinion,anything above 13,000 for a strong work saw is too lean(Risking seizure,causing more heat,less oil etc.),and pointless. Even a really strong saw won't turn much over 10,000 in the cut. The high speed mixture is your rev limiter,specially on saws that rev but hardly under any load-like clearing brush etc. There was a guy running brand new 365's(He had about 8-10) and he had a contract cutting the brush in a tree re-plantation area,if ever saws needed to be governed those were,screaming at full throttle and only cutting brush. He had all the saws over-revving with the high speed screws set too lean,and he blew the crank bearings out of almost all of them in a few weeks.

I would not let that guy try to adjust your saw again,take it to someone else and have it set at 12,500 to 13,000 max.,confirmed on a good tachometer.

My MS460 (which is roughly 7 years old now) has been used for production for most of its life.

skidder operator broke the chain brake handle off it being clumsy so we sent it into the saw shop, they always do us good and take the saw completely apart and clean it, they compression test it, the whole nine yards. when i picked it up i was told it was running too high rmps and they turned it down. :( still cuts fine and i love the saw but i was just curious whats safe rpms for this saw to run? the guy at the saw shop said he tached it at 16000, and turned it down to about 14500, im not gonna question him he knows his stuff, just curious if he saved my saw from blowing up

factory spec for that saw is 13500. 14500 is cutting it close to throwing a rod possibly. why did you have it set that high, that is a strong saw no need for that rpm. your dealer should have known better.

Guess what I just put a older 440 carb on my MS440 and tested the tuning with a tach and it was screaming at 16000 rpms. I checked the high jet and it was almost all the way in .The recomended rpm is 13,500 and thats where I set it.I never seen one scream that high before but now I know they can!

I agree with the previous comment! 14,500 is about the absolute maximum you can set the high speed of a saw at. Of all the all-out competition saws I built,I never set any at more than 14,500,and I was taking into account that a race lasts only 8-14 seconds!
The highest I would set a good modified work saw was 13,500,depending on how good the operator was.
Making a saw scream really high revs on the tach might impress someone,but because of the penalty of much higher exaust temp. and less mix oil getting to the motor,I believe 12,000-13,500 is a realistic maximum,depending on the saw and the type of work it's doing.

saw porting is the big thing in rpm's, I have a great running and very strong 372 built by Dave Neiger, it was tuned by him down here in SC to 13,700, I have kept it set at that for the last 5 years. I pull the plug every year to check it and its always just a light golden brown. I remove the muffler and look at the top of the piston and its just a light golden brown with no excessive carbon build up. I always like to tune mine in the cut, and from my experience the saws are stronger and last a long time. To say that saws cannot turn those types of rpm's is not correct, people need to see what the factory setting is on a 242xp, can we say 15,500! I think every saw has its sweet spot and needs to be tuned to that level. I do agree that 16,000 is high for a stock MS460/046, but I know loggers around my area that run them for years at 14-14,500, they are very tough saws for sure!

In my own opinion,anything above 13,000 for a strong work saw is too lean(Risking seizure,causing more heat,less oil etc.),and pointless. Even a really strong saw won't turn much over 10,000 in the cut. The high speed mixture is your rev limiter,specially on saws that rev but hardly under any load-like clearing brush etc. There was a guy running brand new 365's(He had about 8-10) and he had a contract cutting the brush in a tree re-plantation area,if ever saws needed to be governed those were,screaming at full throttle and only cutting brush. He had all the saws over-revving with the high speed screws set too lean,and he blew the crank bearings out of almost all of them in a few weeks.

I would not let that guy try to adjust your saw again,take it to someone else and have it set at 12,500 to 13,000 max.,confirmed on a good tachometer.
Sir. I agree with Mr. Trappermike He's Right on!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back