rubbish steel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap? around here they charge the same price for it. Got 40 ft of 1" round stock forget # at present supposed to be easy machining high sulfur content yada, yada. to make mold pins from, get threaded on one end 1/2"-13, Didn't matter if I cut the threads on lathe ( speed and feed not withstanding) or used a die. the steel galled, tore,ect worst pia material I ever worked with. #####ed to sales department, comment was something to the effect of bad lot other complaints ect. no longer using that chicom source. No remedy for me either.
No longer use that supplier, and all ways ask source or mfg of steel now. Lesson learned.
Awful lot of nuts and bolts made out of this stuff out there, especially in the metric sizes, if you have a somewhat critical assembly make xxxx sure of the source on these, high incidence of failure. Oh and they seem to have their own size version of metric or sae as well. rant off, soap box put away

B.H.P steel is the best,chinese steel is reclaimed,remixed ,diluted poor mans steel,:popcorn:

partially,,and part not...ever hear of scat engine crankshafts??? guess where they are made??? you can order lots of qualitys of grades of steel.. my engine machinist man told me,,he has never seen one break,,and has straightened a few...

B.H.P steel is the best,chinese steel is reclaimed,remixed ,diluted poor mans steel,:popcorn:

Most steel has some reclaimed content these days actually. Very little is made off of 100% virgin ore.

My understanding is that even some of the high grades of steel need a certain amount of certain grades of scrap in order to get just the right properties. As with anything the key is quality control and sticking to specs. The chicoms seem very willing to label a product a certain spec without the least idea if it meets that spec or not. They have steel mills that are fully capable of producing quality steel and meeting specs. But it is buyer beware with most China stuff as their quality, while getting better, is overall still very poor.

Some of the chicom steel I've worked with it seemed like they had found a way of blending the slag back into the molten metal before pouring it. Or something and stuff.

Mr. HE:cool:

Most steel mills are 100% scrap fed as you can't find the good ore any more it is all gone.

JT

I think the supply of iron ore is fine but the cost structure of those mills running blast furnaces put them out of business. Some have been resurrected and I think still produce most of the automotive body steel and stainless. I don't believe the use of scrap is a real deterrent to quality and the mills don't necessarily use every grade of scrap for every alloy. Some of that Chinese crap is probably still open hearth stuff. Used to work at Nucor and BTW they just started up a new iron producing facility in La due to the continual shortage of quality scrap. Everyone just talks "iron units" these day regardless of source

Latest posts

Back