Run it till it dies / repair / replace parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Line State

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I own a 1993 MTD Log Splitter Model 635 in partnership with my father-in-law and brother-in-law. We are having a problem with the control valve. When you press the level to retract the ram back inside the cylinder you could let go the handle and the ram retracted the control valve would cut itself off. Now control valve will not turn itself off. So you have to stay with it to hit the handle to stop the ram from trying to continue retracting. So I have two questions.

1. Is there a way to repair the control valve?

2. Is it worth replacing the parts? I have looked online into buying the replacement parts to repair the log splitter. There are five parts I am looking for but I can only find three. The cost of the three parts is at least $251.51 and I would not be surprised if the cost of the other two parts is greater than $80 which would put the cost of parts at least $331. So when you factor in that the engine and the pump ($795) is 19 years old is it worth the investment to repair?

717-0899 Control Valve price runs from $176.76 to $216.04
727-0443 Return hose 3/4" I.D. x 44" Lg price runs from $50.25 to $61.41
737-0153 Return Elbow price runs from $24.50 to $29.94
727-0452 High Pressure Hydraulic Hose 48" no one carries
737-0279 Adapter no one carries

I have been told the 727-0452 High Pressure Hydraulic Hose 48" can be made by a hydraulic shop and if it is a competent hydraulic shop it should be able to supply the equivalent to the 737-0279 Adapter.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Don't know where you are looking , you can get a new valve and all the hoses you need from Northern Tool. They also have all the fittings needed. Prince standard log splitter valve -1/2" ports $90 ( good valve rebuildable) also have one called Brand at $95 - don't know a thing about that one. Type in hydraulics to find the parts not log splitters. There are other sources like Surplus Center. It is not neccessary to use the over priced relabeled items from the oem. Your hi pressure hoses don't need to be more than 3500 psi. Most valves are set to bypass at about 2800psi or less on splitters. Pump likely only makes 3000psi . Nothern's prices on pre-assembled hoses were very good last time I bough some about 3 years ago.

I borrowed my BILs unknown make splitter and the retract quit working while I was using it. there is a spring inside the valve that pushes on the spool. You may be able to easily take the end cover off and see if it's broke. No oil should leak out. Pics would help. :)

I manage an auto parts store and we make hydraulic hoses for most of the loggers in the area. You should be able to get the return hose, pressure hose and both adapters at any parts stores that make hydraulic Hose for what you were quoted for the return line and elbow. I know our return line sells for about 3 or 4 dollars a foot, the 4 foot pressure hose would run about 40 and the two fitting would be less than ten each if all the connections are pipe or Oring boss fittings.

Thanks for all the good ideas but I guess I have to show my lack of knowledge and ask more questions.

Pictures would be hard at this point because the splitter is stored at my father-in-law's which is about 33 miles away from my house.

If I can take the control valve apart and it was a broke spring then where would I find a replacement?

I should have thought of Northern Tool (NT). I talked with their help but they are telling me there is no way to cross reference the MTD part numbers with their products. They say I would have to compare specifications which MTD does not supply. Does anyone have a way to cross reference the five MTD parts with NT parts?

Thanks again for the help.

I bought a spring from the hardware store and made it work. The one I got was too long so I had to cut a coil out of it to make it work. Dont worry about the lack of knowledge,keep asking questions we will help. Let me take a pic of a splitter I have here and see it it will help you.

image.jpg image.jpg Here are a couple of pics. Second one is back of valve with snap ring holding the cover in place. If you take it off no oil will leak out

I own a 1993 MTD Log Splitter Model 635 in partnership with my father-in-law and brother-in-law. We are having a problem with the control valve. When you press the level to retract the ram back inside the cylinder you could let go the handle and the ram retracted the control valve would cut itself off. Now control valve will not turn itself off. So you have to stay with it to hit the handle to stop the ram from trying to continue retracting. So I have two questions.

1. Is there a way to repair the control valve?

2. Is it worth replacing the parts? I have looked online into buying the replacement parts to repair the log splitter. There are five parts I am looking for but I can only find three. The cost of the three parts is at least $251.51 and I would not be surprised if the cost of the other two parts is greater than $80 which would put the cost of parts at least $331. So when you factor in that the engine and the pump ($795) is 19 years old is it worth the investment to repair?

I have been told the 727-0452 High Pressure Hydraulic Hose 48" can be made by a hydraulic shop and if it is a competent hydraulic shop it should be able to supply the equivalent to the 737-0279 Adapter.

splitez for valve surplus center for rest

Thanks for your thoughts.

19 year old splitter shared by 3 guys. I would throw it on Craigs list for a crazy price hoping some do it your selfer would make a offer and buy it. Then I would take the money and buy the Dirty Hand Tools splitter that sells for around a grand. Split the bill into 3 and have another 15 years of troublefree splitting.
I can pretty much build anything and I bought new Speeco because it was the cheapest way for me to do it.

Tempting idea to sale the splitter but if I can repair it then I think I would be the one ahead.

Ok I have retrieved the splitter from my father-in-laws. On the end of the controller opposite of the handle/lever appears to be a cap held by two screws. The end with the handle/lever also has two screws but also would require removing a cotter pin and pin holding the handle/lever to a shaft. Which end should I find the spring?

Yep sounds like an energy valve just like mine. Parts diagrams are online from multiple sources. I bought new bearing balls from kovalsky-carr for mine when the detent stopped working. I think they were about $12 shipped to my house. The parts diagram gives you the diameter for the balls if you need them. The entire detent assembly is about $75-$85. You can buy an entire new valve for a little more. Tractor supply usually has them on the shelf.

1028141627a.jpg 1028141658.jpg 1028141627.jpg 1028141626.jpg

Gentlemen,

I apologize for taking so long to get back but I have been busy at work and home. You all have been a big help. Triptester and UpOnTheHill hit it on the head. I looked at the splitter and on one end plain as day was "Energy C 1259 29 92". I am not sure how I missed it since I could read it without reading glasses. I think I am going to just get the whole control unit. I don't see it online at Tractor Supply but I might try to stop by to see if they have it. On the Energy website I only see the one controller so I would presume if I order through them then that is the one. Does anyone know for sure if C 1259 29 92 translates into MTD's 717-0899? For my father-in-law's peace of mind I think I will go ahead and replace the two hydraulic lines since his best friend was a mechanic who lost site in one eye when a hydraulic hose blew. This is my first attempt to post pictures.

Thanks again,
Rob

Well I made it by Tractor Supply Store and they had one Energy brand control valve in stock for $189 so I ordered mine directly from Energy Manufacturing for about 2/3 the cost including shipping. I did take a moment to look at their Huskey/CountyLine spliters and they used Energy Control Valves. Thanks again.

I'm still on the fence about what you should do. Your 1st post made me think you should just buy a new one, then you posted pictures showing bitten fingernails and greasy fingers so I thought, dang maybe he can just fix it. Then I seen the flip flops in the pics and I'm back to thinking you should just buy a new one. :)

Well it is said a picture is worth a 1,000 words but they also say you cannot believe everything you see. Maybe it is a case of context. The flip flops belong to my nephew who is wearing them because his right wrist is broken and it is hard to tie shoes one handed. It was broken in a JV soccer game when he went to block a kick and the ball caught him in the hand just below the wrist and snapped it. My brother said the other boy was a very hard kicker. The bitten fingernails and greasy fingers belong to my best friend who also happens to be my brother who is the best wrench turner in the family. He is a jack of all trades and knows a little about electricity, welding, plumbing, engines and more. Sometimes I consult him to see what he thinks before tackling a job. So between your all’s guidance and his help I think I am in good hands.

Latest posts

Back