Runnin' Loads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15289062_10100130113650023_7430400781495247256_o.jpg
That thing has to be b*tch to load?

The sides the fold down on the bed so it's easy to load log lengths with a skid steer or tractor from the side. My wood pile is on a hill and if I'm loading by hand I'll park on the low side so it's not so high of a throw. Plus I have winch in the back for loading.
15403836_10100130056434683_4031193679383914642_o.jpg

If I remember right just about 6 cord stacked. 2 cord in the trailer and almost 4 in the truck. The M105 is a heavy trailer but can haul a ton of weight. I have a M1102 too which is much lighter with a aluminum body. Much easier to haul with my half ton.

If I remember right just about 6 cord stacked. 2 cord in the trailer and almost 4 in the truck. The M105 is a heavy trailer but can haul a ton of weight. I have a M1102 too which is much lighter with a aluminum body. Much easier to haul with my half ton.

Yeah I've played with those M105,s they're a stout piece of kit.

Here's a pic of my wood hauler. Runnin' an important load, the family Christmas tree a few weeks ago.

2006 Dodge 2500 Cummis 6 speed manual rolling on 35's

image.png

Uhhhh this gone be a tough slog around here this winter as the ground still isn't frozen.....that was yesterday.

1208161529a.jpg

Annnnd it's now kinda chilly here....almost made the 100 club, 95'd it.

IMG_7163[1].PNG

IMG_7171[1].JPG

IMG_7168[1].JPG

Which led me to 2.5 hrs of small to sledge hammer smashing to get the truck to and from the pile tonight.

Yes, my pride finnaly took a hit tonight and I grabbed the 4fts from the pile, pretty good start considering it's the 9th of December and I was running on day cut, kibbles and a few loads of split. Time for good wood.....

Keep on .... Runnin' Load's .....

465 LDT Hercules Multifuel. I can burn waste motor oil, atf, hydraulic oil and so on. I have a larger turbo on it and the fuel turned way up

6 cords must REALLY slow it down! Ive run M35s, they are only around 150 Hp engine if memory serves me.

My International has a 300 Cummins and 10 speed. It will be bumped up a bit when I have time to put in a Pyro and pull the PT pump. 25-30mph pulling 10% hills isn't too fun.
Truck used to be a semi truck, then a concrete truck, bet it was a real tire sizzler then too! GVWR of 60k.

It does get 6-8mpg though. My friend and his brothet run almost brand new 600 Cummins ISX in KWs, they said they are happy to see anything over 3 mpg!

Uhhhh this gone be a tough slog around here this winter as the ground still isn't frozen.....that was yesterday.

View attachment 542509

Annnnd it's now kinda chilly here....almost made the 100 club, 95'd it.

View attachment 542510

View attachment 542511

View attachment 542512

Which led me to 2.5 hrs of small to sledge hammer smashing to get the truck to and from the pile tonight.

Yes, my pride finnaly took a hit tonight and I grabbed the 4fts from the pile, pretty good start considering it's the 9th of December and I was running on day cut, kibbles and a few loads of split. Time for good wood.....

Keep on .... Runnin' Load's .....

Brr.

I came home at around 8pm, was 4*. Fell asleep watching Tv, just woke up a biTV ago (midnight). Brrr, cold in the house.
I goofed and loaded the stove to the gunnales thinking it was cold outside.

Went over to the kitchen to get a glass of water, happened to look at the outside temp, it's freaking 35*. Yeah... ~30* temp change in under 4 hrs!

My buddy was telling me back in the 90s he went out to the woods in the AM, it was almost 40*. When he came back to the shop that evening, it had dropped to -28.
They ended up busting the final drive on the HD11 dozer the next morning. It had froze solid to the ground (was mud earlier that day)

For fuel sipping big trucks, find something with a Detroit 60 ... they will pretty much cream everything at the same power level.

Around here Cummins is king for availability and parts/service. Detroit isn't too bad either though.
2 guys run Mack log trucks, one had the V8 Maxidyne? and it had problems, not sure how they got it fixed, it was something like $25k estimate. We told him to swap in a new engine/Trans or swap the loader and bunk to a new truck! Can buy decent KW or Petes at auction for 8-10k!

Making a new wood getter.
20161209_102655.jpg Start with new TSC trailer

20161209_183445.jpg Remove nails push boards together
Bolt down and fill in the sides

20161209_183459.jpg Fabricate brackets bolt 8 foot boxes down

20161209_175248.jpg Install front box

20161209_175257.jpg Make sure you can open lid

20161209_183510.jpg Move tag up so you don't brake tag bracket.( I have done this)

20161209_200358.jpg Take new wood getter Home

Still more to do but this way Chains. cables. blocks. spar bars & saw chains ropes oil gas
all on one rig no more **** I left it at the shop

I think you are off quite a bit on the cord count. An m35a2 bed holds 2 cords as its 3ft high, 7'4" wide and 12'3" long. The m105 holds about 1.5 cords, so total cord count is 3.5. Still a good haul and a good bit of wood!

Around here Cummins is king for availability and parts/service. Detroit isn't too bad either though.
2 guys run Mack log trucks, one had the V8 Maxidyne? and it had problems, not sure how they got it fixed, it was something like $25k estimate. We told him to swap in a new engine/Trans or swap the loader and bunk to a new truck! Can buy decent KW or Petes at auction for 8-10k!

Ya truck and engine combo's do need the support behind them or you could be in Knak Knak with a Volvo that is a paper weight. Yes some fix's get pretty expensive fast and buying a whole nother truck is an option but better have some yard space for some extra trucks.

I think you are off quite a bit on the cord count. An m35a2 bed holds 2 cords as its 3ft high, 7'4" wide and 12'3" long. The m105 holds about 1.5 cords, so total cord count is 3.5. Still a good haul and a good bit of wood!
Agreed on the cord count as my M35A3C only holds two cords of wood as well. Though I could not put enough wood in it to make it squat even a little and no noticeable difference in power loaded or not. The main advantage of these trucks are price and they get into and out of nasty areas the Dodge Rams and such get stuck. Oh yeah, 13mpg on flat land and 11 mtg on 6 % + grades loaded or empty.

Huh, the M35 I ran didn't get near that for fuel mileage. Barely even 1/2 that actually.

I looked at a few but the 10-15k price tag was not happening. I paid 5k for my International. GVWR of 60,000lbs, truck is about 20k, so could haul in theory around 8 cords of wood.
The 5 ton is rated for what on the highway?

Latest posts

Back