Running PEX through garage for OWB, options?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like your idea. May have to consider that if I decide to heat the garage.

If Hardys have a coil, should be easy enough to hook up the DHW "Shaver style."

A couple tee fittings and an extra pump (bronze), and you're in business.

I have decided against using the hot water coil in the Taylor. Cross contamination scares me off of that, the addition of 2 more lines is also a factor.

So I am thinking:

2 1" lines of wirsbo through the garage to a manifold in the basement.

Air exchanger in the forced air furnace.

Water heater set up with an aqua-stat and pump going to a Plate exchanger for hot water.

Eventually heat the insulated garage.gg

Good Plan! I have a CB and use a 30 plate water-to-water HX that heats my boiler and in turn does my house and DHW. If you want pics let me know.

I have a Hardy with the DHW coil in the furnace. There's no more heat loss in the 100' run than there is in a 100' to the heating HX. Plus you don't have the cost of a water to water HX. Just have the cost of the seperate line for the DHW. Also the water going to the water to air HX is hotter because it didn't have to heat DHW first.
Either way works and neither is really that much better/worse than the other.

Correct, there is no more "loss" in any particular 100' run, no matter where it goes...but at approx. $12/ft., the extra set of lines + circ., plus controls doesn't make economic sense. Even if you have to pay $300 for a 30 plate w/w HX, that's not hard to figure which is cheaper....and, as I've said many times, the theory of piping all of these HX's in series is really inefficient, and just plain dumb...violates the most basic hydronic heating theory. Why not do primary/secondary piping, which keeps the water temp. in the primary loop constant to ALL HX's? It's a beautiful thing if sized and installed correctly.

I am getting close on my install decisions.

I decided to;

1. Run pair of 130 lines from boiler to garage corner. With a pump running continuous.

2. Build a 1" maybe 1 1/4" manifold with legs for furnace, water heater, garage heater(future), and pool(summer use).

Have individual pumps for each application.

This way in the summer I can run a line 42' to pool equipment pad from the garage. I can close the loop to furnace and just water heater and pool.

Any radiated heat from the continuous loop will be in the garage and not in the house that I am trying to cool.

My garage is insulated and dry walled so it should not be a freeze issue in winter.

The water heater will have a pump on the potable water that will be controlled by an auquastat. That way it will on run that and the boiler pump when needed and will not over heat the water.

How does that sound?

gg

Back