Ryobi/Zama carb screws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, my eyes are working pretty well tonight (better than the macro mode on the little Nikon, anyway) so I pulled the carb on the $99 Ryobi 10532 to take another look at the screws.
The carb is a Zama C1Q (H64-64A).

I'm 90% sure that those are indeed adjuster screws, I just haven't been able to turn them. They seem to be a double D style head (curved on the ends with flats on two sides) with round stubs on the ends to block the wrong tool from getting on them.

What do the Stihl/Zama screwdrivers look like? Are they splined like the Husky driver, or do they have two rounded lobes like my carb screws?

Attached are the two least crappy of my pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I took mine out with needle nose and nothched a screw head in with a dremel and the tiny (1" +) carbon cut off wheels they have.

I thought they demonstrated the idea. The OP pics where a little hard to see.:hmm3grin2orange:

I had something like that on a leaf blower, and I used the dremel to cut off the shroud around the screws before putting the screw notches in.

Buenas notches!

I had something like that on a leaf blower, and I used the dremel to cut off the shroud around the screws before putting the screw notches in.

Right now, I'm thinking of taking the carb back off, and dremeling notches through the screws and the shroud with a cut off wheel. One straight line across both screws. Would be less cutting than removing the whole shroud.

None of my needle nose pliers fit in the small space between the screw and the housing. I even tried to get a retaining ring plier down in there to grab the screw, but it was too big. I wonder if I threw away the crappy retaining ring pliers I had with the replaceable jaws? Those might work.

I think I could make a t-handle tool out of brass tubing, but I'd have to have a screw out first to do it, and I won't need any special tools after the screws come out once. If I buy any more of these, I'll make a tool to fit the screws from the first saw.

Last edited:
Try a red electrical butt connector. Gently tap it on.

The insulator?
Been there, done that. One brand of red and two brands of blue. Then I took the insulator off a the copper core of a yellow, opened it slightly to get it started, and tapped it on the screw. Was sure that would get it to turn. When that failed, I started wondering if they were plugs and not screws. That 12ga connector was transmitting more torque than I ever remember needing to turn a mixture screw.

There is a special screw drive that fits those. I got mine from Kyle @ Edge & Engine. I think it was for some Homelite models. I needed it for a new Shindaiwa 446s....

You need a piece of brass pipe the right size or just under, gently open the pipe by tapping a centerpunch into it and then tap the pipe onto the adjuster.
If you want to get fancy you could epoxy the pipe into an old screwdriver handle.

I guess I forgot to post an update.
20mm diameter (a bit large, wish I'd had a well worn one on hand) cutoff wheel in the Dremel, cut a slot all the way across both screws and the housing. Took a lot more effort to turn than I expected, no wonder the "jam something on the round end of the screw" method didn't work.

I screwed something up, wants to foul the plug and die at idle. May need to put a new plug in it before I can tune the bottom end. It wants to six stroke at idle (chug, chug, boom, chug, chug, boom).

Got the top end richened up and it cuts great if I can keep it running. Thing vibrates so much I can't get the driver in the slot with the engine running. Wish I'd just bought the double D screwdriver, I bet I could use that on a running engine.

I am not sure it is right but I have been cutting notches in them with a dremmel on pollen wild things and wood sharks.

I now have the Homelite part number for the Double D carb screwdriver.

It's 308535002.

Found them on eBay for as little as $6.21 delivered.
Wish I'd found that before I took the carb off the saw and dremeled the heck out of it. The engine vibrates enough that I can't adjust it running with the slotted screw heads, so I'm going to buy the double D socket driver to make things easier on me.

Latest posts

Back