S.B. HICKORY sweet as honey

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocold4u2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i was out behind the house cutting a few trees that were on the ground after some were droped by the high winds in the past , anyway i remembered a s.b.hickory that got knocked down a few years ago, i decided to cut into it to check it out, well about 8 ft from the bottom i stopped and decided to take a look inside the log, i figured that there would be a mouse nest of some other critter calling it home as they always do. here`s a picture of what i found , a good thing i stopped cutting when i did!
after that hickory was cut and stacked i went after 2 small elm trees that were standing , but were dead, as the first one smashed the ground i saw a mouse runing , or kinda staggering around ,,,guess he got served his eviction notice.:ices_rofl: i got 2 hickory`s and 2 elm`s cut and stacked today ,,,,not a bad days work, the good thing is that all the wood is already seasoned,and ready for the outdoor unit:)

Man!! I'll be right over to collect that hive! you can keep the honey, all I want is a little bit for them to eat, and the bees! Thats a good calm hive with a good queen!
-Ralph

begleytree said:
Man!! I'll be right over to collect that hive! you can keep the honey, all I want is a little bit for them to eat, and the bees! Thats a good calm hive with a good queen!
-Ralph

Is that why your face is all puffy like that, chasing after bee's nest? :jester:
Sorry, Begley, I couldn't resist, please don't ban me. :hmm3grin2orange:

tocold, nice pic. It's a little cold for those guys to come out, no? Nice pic.

Adrpk said:
Is that why your face is all puffy like that, chasing after bee's nest? :jester:
Sorry, Begley, I couldn't resist, please don't ban me. :hmm3grin2orange:

lol, ban you for that? I thought it was funny too!

2cold, please tell me you covered them up, or had them moved, ect. tell me you didnt just leave them there! no way for them to move that much honey to another nest site before cold weather gets them through the open hole!
Honey bees are awesome!
-Ralph

s.b hickory

yea , lucky for me it was kinda chilly out , so they weren`t interested in going after me, although 2 or 3 did manage to fly out after being disturbed, i left them the rest of that 8 ft log and re covered the hole with some bark and some wood chunks, hopefully that will shelter them from the cold.
i stuck my face down there and looked into that log ,,,i bet they were only 3 ft from me:jawdrop: , i figured that they will be good to keep around to help the flowers out and all,,,maybe i`ll try to find a behive box and transfer them into it ??

begleytree said:

2cold, please tell me you covered them up, or had them moved, ect. tell me you didnt just leave them there! no way for them to move that much honey to another nest site before cold weather gets them through the open hole!
Honey bees are awesome!
-Ralph

Well, then looks like I got rep coming to me.:cool:

hickory

begleytree said:

Honey bees are awesome!
-Ralph

yea i put some bark and a few small chunks of wood over the hole tomorrow
i`ll check on them and try to put some saw dust in the hole, maybe fill it half-3/4 full , that should help keep them warm, unless anyone has a bee box , and could move them into the box for me ...:confused: , if i would of know that they were there i wouldn`t of cut into the tree.

well, if you can't find anything right now, just make sure they have an open entrance hole available, and cover the end with plywood, nail/screw it on good to keep out critters,and they'll be happy enough.
would be neat to use plexiglass so you could see into the hive for years to come, but they may not like the light, and cover it themselves. just a thought!
-Ralph
edit, where are you in Ohio?

There's alot of cool things you could do to enjoy them. As said Plexiglas box, window. There are more to Bees than most people think. The most common problem I hear about is some type of Mite. You might also wanna check their little heads for small Afros to make sure they aren't African American Honey Bees (Killer Bees). I heard the results of a study last week that said they hadn't got that far north. Good luck with the Bees ,very cool creatures!

B-Edwards said:
. You might also wanna check their little heads for small Afros to make sure they aren't African American Honey Bees (Killer Bees). I heard the results of a study last week that said they hadn't got that far north.

LMAO!

he's safe. If they were africanized he would be posting from the hospital or the grave. It was plenty warm in Ohio for bee movement yesterday, especailly when he cut into the nest!

B Edwards said:
Good luck with the Bees ,very cool creatures
indeed!
-Ralph

Ok Ralph, ever run across a hive like this?

attachment.php

Here is a close up that isn't that great.

attachment.php

cool pics locoweed!
NO I have not seen one like this. being open to the air it must be in a warmer part of the country. tell me where you found this! Did you do anything with this hive?

In all my time cutting I have only came across one tree with honey bees. I've found plenty of yellow jackets and ants though :(
-Ralph

It's in West Texas not far from the Rio Grande. The hive was high up on a rock wall on the other side of a canyon from where we were. I don't think anything that didn't fly would be able to get to it..

Here is a shot from a different angle.

attachment.php

damn...that's some nice country, locoweed.

as for the bees in the tree stump....won't animals go digging for the honey during the winter?

s b hickory

hey ralph, not sure i covered the hole and haven`t messed with them, it hasen`t been cold here , so they should be doing fine, i been getting this old 031 going , i finally got her running and now it`s raining so i will try it out tomorrow. also trying to get the old pump off my splitter , so i can get a new pump for it.:chainsaw: i`ve been speed dipping some traps cause i hear fur price is up:clap: i will lay a few traps out and see how the prices are . i will look at the winged ones sunday , hopefully they are still drowsey. i`m gonna try to get a bee box for them this spring.
i`ve been bust here aand there , oh yea i got a dynamark chainsaw that i`ve been working on and 2 smaller saws also.
i`ll get back on the winged ones sunday:)

Latest posts

Back