Sachs Dolmar 166

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the tree guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where a coil for a 166 can be found.I have gotten 3 from local dealer and all 3 have been d.o.a.Thank you for your help. :p Dan

Yes,Ihad a local shop work on it and decide it was the coil.But if anyone has any ideas or have had coil like problems I'm open to any input.The saw is my 85 year grandfathers and his pride and joy,but WE just can seem to get the beast to work or spark. :) Dan

I can't imagine that many bad coils in a row. Check for demagnetized flywheel magnets (very rare but it can happen) How about a flywheel out of time? I spent a little while this afternoon on a saw with a sheared flywheel key.-Of course I had spark but it was weak and at the wrong time.

The last known part number was 166 143 010 and it doesn't show up in the price list anymore.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
yea,that seems to be some the problem.A Stihl 066 coil is only 1 number differece,but I haven't check into that to hard yet.I have emailed dolmar and bosch with no luck.I figured someone had a hotsaw 166 with some kind of differnt coil set up.
I should check the flywheel(per stumper),I must be overlooking something.Thanks for your time, :) Dan

Take a new sparkplug and pull a few times on them.
Then you will know for sure.
Test the coils, if it fails to spark.

Certainly try the spark test with a different plug, with a spark tester, or with a gullible young 'un (Me and a buddy actually did this when we were teenagers and has a lawnmowing biz).
I have seen plugs with some sort of internal short that makes you think something else is bad. Make sure your flywheel to coil gap and your plug gap is set right and try not to pull the saw through too much without the plug wire being hooked up to the plug or grounded.

I tend to agree with Stumper,something is amiss here.I am not familiar with the big 166,kind of like to have one though.My advice,for what it's worth.Make sure the coil laminations are getting good ground[clean the area where it mounts to the engine] make sure the kill wire,is not grounded.The air gap,on electronic ignitions,is critical,I would assume it would be about 8 to 12 thou.Make sure the plug is grounded real good,if you try it out of the saw,because it's real easy to cook the coil,otherwise.As has been stated,check for a sheared flywheel key.Good luck,I am out of ideas.

Al Smith said:
make sure the kill wire,is not grounded..

If you have a number of supposedly good coils that wont spark Al's point above would be very likely cause.

Having the plug grounded to avoid having the coil trying to discharge with no place to go, is very important. Without a suitable load, the open circuit voltage can rise high enough to break down the coils internal insulation. A bit like trying to stifle a sneeze, you might blow your eardrums!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone,took my sons to the airports the last few days and things are finally getting back to normal.coil number is
2204222-080 on the frame below is the number 246 and 5558 Germany below that.We did get a new flywheel when we ordered a coil.I think we got the same coil twice,but not sure.Thanks to all for your help so far,and with a bit of luck and more help grandpa will be throwing chips(BIG) soon. :) Dan

The 166 ignition is a week point of that saw, keep up your search for a used one, but I do beleve there is an expensive conversion to a new stile ignition. Check with Hatch Chevrolet in Snowflake Az. Good luck Jon

If you are still looking, I think the Dolmar Wholesaler in Glen Allen, MO may still have one or two available. You can check with them at 573-238-2800 (MO-KITA Distributing) Ask for Bob or Myra.

The last part number for the coil was 166143010 and has been discontinued for over 10 years from the factory in Germany.

Back