Sachs Dolmar AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness77

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went for some fire wood this arvo. When I was cutting the last block the saw broke its front AV mounts. The 116si is getting on so should I replace all 5 mounts or just the broken ones? Where do I get these mounts, and are they common to any other saws? Another thing is that the chain seems to run at idle when the saw has been used for a while and is hot. Would this be clutch shoes or the spring? :confused:Looks like I won't be cutting wood for some time.:cry: On the bright side I have plenty of wood in stock for the winter.

The mounts should be available from any Dolmar dealer.
I believe all are the same and easy to replace.
Sounds like the bearing in the clutch drum is binding
and causing the chain to turn at idle. Take the drum off
clean and lube the bearing making sure the drum spins
nice when all together. The clutch spring could be weak as well but i have never seen a weak one.

Just my thoughts.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I will have a look for the mounts when I go down the hill today. The clutch drum spins freely when I gave it a spin, so I will pull it to bits and have a look anyhow.
Cheers

Leeha said it mostly, you should change out all the mounts or buffers as we call them. We can get them from any Dolmar dealer here. The buffers from the 113,116 and 120 will all fit
but new ones will last longer,they all deteriorate over time.
The clutch spring does weaken and is usually a girdle type,you can shorten it a couple of turns and reattach it and it will usually last a long time.Dolmar clutch spring #114 184 010 and rubber buffer # 965 403 430 fit the 116 si.
Pioneerguy600

We had a clutch shoe break on a 116 this spring , called our local makita (I should have checked with some of the forum sponsors but makita was on my way home) service center and got a new redesigned clutch in 3 days .Had another 116 that was in desperate need of mounts a few years ago on a saturday , found a husky parts saw with similar mounts and it's been cutting since .:)

Got 2 new mounts today from a dealer 50 Km away. Closest one but at least they had the parts in stock. $18 each so I only replaced the broken ones. I rebuilt the saw and now the oil pump dosn't work so I reckon the line must be pinched somehow when I put it together. :buttkick:
They had a new 7900 sitting on the shelf that I might go back and get. $1250 sticker price. Ms 660 in the same shop is $1969 list. What to do?:confused:

Got 2 new mounts today from a dealer 50 Km away. Closest one but at least they had the parts in stock. $18 each so I only replaced the broken ones. I rebuilt the saw and now the oil pump dosn't work so I reckon the line must be pinched somehow when I put it together. :buttkick:
They had a new 7900 sitting on the shelf that I might go back and get. $1250 sticker price. Ms 660 in the same shop is $1969 list. What to do?:confused:

Good to hear you got your parts,gosh those prices sound high,can get 4 buffers here for that price. I run a bunch of the older Sach Dolmars from the 80`s,112`s,113`s ,116 & 116 si, 120`s & 120supers they are great old saws. The newer Dolmars are getting great reviews on the AS site but I personally have not tried them out yet.
Pioneerguy600

My Dad bought this saw in the early 90's when a mate of his was selling Sachs-Dolmar. That shop is now closed but I found a dealer close enough that says he carries lots of spares for that series of saws. He even said he owned one of them when new. Do all sales guys run the model saw you seem to be interested in?

My Dad bought this saw in the early 90's when a mate of his was selling Sachs-Dolmar. That shop is now closed but I found a dealer close enough that says he carries lots of spares for that series of saws. He even said he owned one of them when new. Do all sales guys run the model saw you seem to be interested in?

Not,I went to see the Sachs Dolmars demonstrated at a festival near us and after the demonstration dad and I approached the dealer and after some haggling we bought our original two saws, dad a 116 and me a 120 super. When we started in cutting with them a day later it was apparent that the 116 cut faster than the 120 super. No amount of adjusting could change this so we took them back to the dealer for a checkup and he tried all the saws he had at the shop and the 116 outdid them all. H e had his best mechanic dismantle the 116 and he found a factory port job and a dual port muffler with intake and exhaust ports opened up to make this saw really perform.
All they could make of this was that they received the saw especially for the demo run and it was souped up to impress the crowd,this saw still runs like a raped ape after all these years. The only Sach`s saw I have that comes close to it is a 116 si I built last year with lots of mods and the two cut closely in side by side cutting tests.
Pioneerguy600

An MS 660 for WHAT!!!!! $1969.00 WOW
I'm glad i run older saws.
I'm with ya Pioneerguy600
I run the older Sachs Dolmars as well, They are
great saws with good power. I have most from
the 112's up to the 166's but really never use
the bigun's.

Keep runin that 116 it's a great saw.

Regards Lee

An MS 660 for WHAT!!!!! $1969.00 WOW
I'm glad i run older saws.
I'm with ya Pioneerguy600
I run the older Sachs Dolmars as well, They are
great saws with good power. I have most from
the 112's up to the 166's but really never use
the bigun's.

Keep runin that 116 it's a great saw.

Regards Lee

Will do. Pioneerguy600

Been busy with work and my new saw. I finally got around to pulling the Sachs apart again, pulled out the oil line and reassembled. Still no oil to the bar. :censored:
When the saw was in bits I made sure the lines and passages were free of blockages and crap. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do I need to prime the pump? I wouldn't have thought so but this thing was oiling fine before I replaced the engine mounts. Any ideas Guys?

Which model saw?
Double check that the line that goe's
from the oil tank to the housing the pump bolts to is not kinked from assembling the motor to the tank assembly.
I have had the plastic gears strip on the newer 116si saws.
Something to check.

Regards Lee

Thanks for the speedy reply lee. I don't know if I would have kinked the line the second time around, I was really concious of it as I reassembled it. But who knows, Third time lucky.:)

mate, saw prices here are crazy compared to the US.
If you don't mind taking a small risk, you can get something off ebay landed here for about half what the local dealers are asking (which is below the poor buggers cost).
I bought a DCS6401 BNIB last week from a bloke that bought it from the US for over $400 below shop price.

If you need bits and spares, better to get them from the US too with the way our $ is compared to theirs.
I really feel for the local shops, but the price differences are staggering.

No joke there, I bought 2 mounts @ 18 bucks a piece. The guys here reckon about $7 is the going price in the US. At least the dude had them in stock I guess. How much was the saw you bought?

$650.
I found out after that the bloke I'd bought it off had landed it here for around the $550 mark.
I don't mind, I still got a hell of a deal when I'd been quoted $1055 eighteen months ago for a Dolmar PS6400 at the nearest dealer 100km away, and the blue and white colour scheme of the Makita liveried version is really growing on me. :D

(any excuse for gratuitous pic :greenchainsaw: )

IMGA0319-copy.jpg

Not,I went to see the Sachs Dolmars demonstrated at a festival near us and after the demonstration dad and I approached the dealer and after some haggling we bought our original two saws, dad a 116 and me a 120 super. When we started in cutting with them a day later it was apparent that the 116 cut faster than the 120 super. No amount of adjusting could change this so we took them back to the dealer for a checkup and he tried all the saws he had at the shop and the 116 outdid them all. H e had his best mechanic dismantle the 116 and he found a factory port job and a dual port muffler with intake and exhaust ports opened up to make this saw really perform.
All they could make of this was that they received the saw especially for the demo run and it was souped up to impress the crowd,this saw still runs like a raped ape after all these years. The only Sach`s saw I have that comes close to it is a 116 si I built last year with lots of mods and the two cut closely in side by side cutting tests.
Pioneerguy600

Have you tried the 120si............I really like that saw.......Its like a big bore 116si

Back