Sachs Dolmar questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodrat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to replace my totally whipped out husky 288 with another saw that will run a 32" bar. I have not had the greatest luck with Stihls, but would consider one. What caught my eye recently was a couple of sachs dolmar 166s. I don't know their age or size of engine, and I was wondering if that saw would pull that long of a bar. Any other recommendations? How are parts for the sachs dolmar? I used a Makita a couple of summers ago that I was told was a dolmar under it's blue paint, and that was a nice saw. My little saw is a husky 55 that has been beat on pretty hard for 10 years, but I like it, and I recetnly bought a parts saw for it so I could replace a few things. The main thing that I've had trouble with on the huskies is that the pull cord assembly is always haveing trouble.

Thanks in advance!

i do not own a 166 but have two 133s and i believe they will run 32" bar they are 85 or 87ccs. 166 should be plenty,but parts are kind of hard to come by i think.

Woodrat, you might want to look at either a Dolmar PS9010 90cc, 6.9 BHP or a PS7900 79cc 6.3 BHP either will pull a 32" although the 9010 will show a bit more authority. Will you use the 32" all the time or just now and then? If occasional I'd recommend the 7900 to save the weight. As far as Sachs Dolmar 166's Parts are almost non existent they are a torque monster but kinda heavy. I own 3 166's which I use now and then but the saw I use regularly is the 7900 20"

Scott

I think you might want to get into something a little newer. Had a dolmar 153 (until last week, someone saw it and HAD to have it), 100 cc with a 33" bar. No trouble running that big a bar, and the 166 is a bigger saw. Parts are getting to be an issue, it's an old saw.

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I will keep on looking. I don't really want a saw that i can't get parts for easily. I stopped at my local stihl shop today and asked about S/D parts and they said that it was not easy to find them. I love my huskies except for the constantly breaking pull assembly, and I would just look for another husky except that my local husky shop has been less than friendly and really lame about ordering parts for me. The Stihl shop here is much better...

By the way, for those who are looking for parts to keep old S/D saws running, there are two 166s, a 120 and a bunch of misc parts and pieces in unknown condition on ebay right now. I went back and looked at the 166s again...25 pounds! wow!

The 166 is a 118cc machine. The only thing (from Germany)bigger and heavyer is a stihl 090. And then there are the macs and homelites which also made their share of monsters.

Back