Sad Day at My House

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When we moved here about 36 years ago, there were eight or nine big red and white oaks over the hill. Over the years, all but one bit the dust. I was cutting the grass today and noticed a lot more sunlight coming through the woods than normal, then I saw it - the last big oak (white) went down in the past few days. Lots of rot on the trunk - I never suspected it and the tree always looked healthy. There is one more this size behind my neighbor's house. On the bright side, there are lots of young uns coming up - 10" - 20" dia. and I have some primo firewood to winch up the hill. Probably put on a rope and try to take the stress of the one that's doubled over before I do any other cutting, it could spring back at any time. The main stem will stay there, simply too heavy and it will make nice homes for some of the wildlife.

big oak res 005.jpg big oak res 004.jpg big oak res006.jpg big oak res 003.jpg

Keep some big wedges handy bucking that one. You'll need them. Yes, leave the critters the bottom few yards.

That's the kind of tree that motivated me to get a polesaw. Lets you drop the high stuff, and keep your butt a bit out of harm's way. And ... winches & chains are your friend.

Big problem with getting the big stuff is the location - about 100' downhill and no road. I might try something I did earlier this year on a big walnut log in a creek. We wrapped a cable around it several times and then pulled the cable, unwinding it and rolling the log up the hill - just like a starter on a saw. Anyway, this will be next years firewood so I have time and the tree has time.

Definitely a hernia hiding somewhere in that monster. Have fun with that one. I'd like to help you cut that one up if I lived closer. I have been getting some big oaks lately from a tree service. My 260 and 660 (with 36" bar) have been doing 90% of the work. The 044 does all the noodling and the 361 handles some of the bigger branches. I could use a piece of equipment with a grapple claw in a big way. A dolly, wheelbarrow, and strong back will have to do for now.

If it's on your property why not just cut it up split it and stack it where it lays. Then haul it in after a year or two.
Hmm...not a bad idea. It's on a pretty steep hillside but I could make some sort of a sled wheels to load and winch up next year. That would eliminate whole logs catching on obstructions.
I'll have the SP125 out if I get into the main trunk but use the 361 and makita 6401 big bore for the rest.

It's a bummer when one of those comes down - we've lost maybe 10 big oaks over the last 4 years, most in recent storms. This white oak came down earlier this summer on a perfectly clear calm day - took a large tulip with it (closest in the first picture) and they both fell across the power lines and road. The uphill roots had rotted and it just let go. Fortunately I could access it with the front end loader.
IMG_1234-1024.jpg
IMG_1241-1024.jpg

It's a bummer when one of those comes down - we've lost maybe 10 big oaks over the last 4 years, most in recent storms. This white oak came down earlier this summer on a perfectly clear calm day - took a large tulip with it (closest in the first picture) and they both fell across the power lines and road. The uphill roots had rotted and it just let go. Fortunately I could access it with the front end loader.

Nice photos.
It's amazing how these things just let go. It's been growing for maybe a couple hundred years and we are the last to see them. Makes you wonder who was first to see them. Really amazing they weren't cut sooner. Many of the hillsides here were clearcut in the early 1900s.

Looking at those big rounds - I'm thinking about noodling the log about 3/4 down before cutting off the round. That would make the first split alot easier and easier to handle. I did that on a walnut stump that had fallen down. I noodled it into four slabs about 6" thick, then sliced off at about 24" long.

Looking at those big rounds - I'm thinking about noodling the log about 3/4 down before cutting off the round. That would make the first split alot easier and easier to handle. I did that on a walnut stump that had fallen down. I noodled it into four slabs about 6" thick, then sliced off at about 24" long.
That might work - I'm always worried about my back when moving that stuff. All the rounds that could not be rolled into the bucket (knots, bumps, etc) were either split or noodled into quarters.

I love big oaks but I'm not impressed by the strength of their roots. Too many have blown over in recent storms. The tulips, which grow at least as large and with similar shade-tree shape when they're not in the woods have fared much better.

This particular tree was not that healthy, although it was not that obvious before it came down. Someone more knowledgable than me could probably have recognized the signs.

Latest posts

Back