Sad day in Maine...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefish

I saw that...
Reaction score
A huge silver maple on the banks of the androscoggin river, 26'4" around, was found toppled the other day. The tree, estimated to be 390 years old, had its roots compromised by recent flooding. Based on circumference alone it was the biggest maple in the U.S. When factoring heighth and branch spread into the equation a tree in Pulaski Kansas takes the honor.
I don't know how to do links but the article is in today's Bangor Daily News. Amazing... to me. Russ

That's a big one for sure...thanks for bringing that everyones attention Russ.....to bad for such a nice big ol' ancient tree...........OK...now who's got a splitter that'll do 8' diameter wood????........and it better be a vertical one!!!!

Lol..... Just need to buck it from both sides with a 4-5' bar, then start noodling...... 26' circumference is about 8' diameter.

I have a dead maple on my property that is about 5-6' diameter. It is too far gone to use for firewood, but it is still up. Kind of sad to see it standing there.

A huge silver maple on the banks of the androscoggin river, 26'4" around, was found toppled the other day. The tree, estimated to be 390 years old, had its roots compromised by recent flooding. Based on circumference alone it was the biggest maple in the U.S. When factoring heighth and branch spread into the equation a tree in Pulaski Kansas takes the honor.
I don't know how to do links but the article is in today's Bangor Daily News. Amazing... to me. Russ

my parents lived just on the other side of the lake!, i've been right by there, but never new anything about that tree until now!:msp_crying:

I have seen a bunch of those huge Silver Maples here in Ky. They have murdered many ceptic tanks/leach beds, and have destroyed millions of
lawn mowers, their wood is pretty much worthless, their seed crop is prolific.

Lol..... Just need to buck it from both sides with a 4-5' bar, then start noodling...... 26' circumference is about 8' diameter.

I have a dead maple on my property that is about 5-6' diameter. It is too far gone to use for firewood, but it is still up. Kind of sad to see it standing there.

Such things are always sad.....:sad4:

Here is a big ole' beast in my front yard.........

Not many like this one around, great firewood, have fun splitting this one!!!!!

View attachment 244645

244645d1341868269-hedgeapple-001-jpg

Always sad to see a leviathan come down. :(

We have lots of big silver maples in Minnesota, and they were widely planted as boulevard trees up here in northeastern Minnesota more than 100 years ago.

Many of them, because of their habit of clumping or branching out into several trunks right away, are easily 6 feet in diameter at the base, and have been buckling concrete sidewalks and curb and gutter for 30 years or more in this part of the country. Biggest reason I entered the 100 cc club (aside from just being a man and having StihlCAD), was so I could run a 42-inch bar in case I get a call to take down one of these trees. There's nothing else up here even close to those diameters except for a few ancient pines, and if I falled one of those I'd be in jail.

Those silver maples sure are easy to grow, and they provide a lot of shade. No value as lumber, and not much for firewood. Lots of other ways to find value in a tree. :)

That's a GTG waiting to happen. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I laid down a pretty big one one spring, thought I would come back in the fall and cut it up into firewood.................

No way.......I cut=sharpen chain...........I would rather cut concrete...........

Back