Sad / Man dies in my hometown from exposure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I didn't know him personally but I know some of his relatives. Damn cold weather, it can kill you.

"Hayward sleepwalker dies of exposure

A 51-year-old frequent sleepwalker, barefoot and dressed for bed, was found dead of exposure to subzero temperatures Tuesday outside his Hayward, Wis., home, authorities reported.

The man was reported missing about 11:15 a.m. by his son, who also told authorities his father was prone to sleepwalking, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said in a news release. Officers followed prints in the snow from the man's bare feet to where he had collapsed and died about 190 yards from his home just south of the city, the news release said.

"He had been in bed and walked outside," Zeigle said. "He had on very few clothes."

The victim's identity was being withheld because notification of relatives was still going on, according to county coroner John Ryan, who pronounced the man dead.

Tuesday's low temperature in Hayward reached around 27-below, said Mark Dobie, publisher of the Sawyer County Record newspaper. "It's too bad," Dobie said of the man's death. "It's a sad way to go."

LARRY OAKES, ASSOCIATED PRESS"

Last edited:
Sad story. Article in the Mpls paper said he apparently had taken Ambien sleeping drug. It can make you do really wierd stuff. My fiancee used to take it occasionally and she made phone calls, carried on conversations, rearranged furniture, and did all sorts of totally wierd things, and totally unaware of it next day. She is off of it now.

For the guy in hayward, combined with the -20 to -30 temps it could be really dangerous stuff.

kcj

Man, that's to bad. You would have thought he would wake up when his barefeet hit the snow. I had a cousin that use to sleep walk alot when he was younger, it's amazing what they can do while still "sleeping"

Wow, thats terrible. I'm not a sleepwalker but wonder if there is anything one can do to curb this problem (sleepwalking in general) as I have a friend thats scared the crap out of me in the middle of the night a couple times.
On a lighter note, I think I would have pi$$ed all over myself if I went out in those temps with next to nothing on.

Very sad story.

Within the commercial for Ambien it states "Sleepwalking, and eating or driving while not fully awake, with amnesia for the event, have been reported. " not a drug I would like to be on. Nor would I like to meet someone who was sleep driving on this drug.

What is it with these stories today? I thought when I saw your title it was about this one. My condolences to both.

HAMBURG TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A Livingston County man has been discovered frozen to death outside his home.

The 41-year-old was discovered Thursday morning behind his home in Hamburg Township, about 35 miles west of Detroit, when a co-worker arrived to pick him up.

Hamburg Township Police Chief Steve Luciano tells The Ann Arbor News it appears the man fell off his deck, was injured and died from exposure to the elements sometime overnight.

The National Weather Service reports the temperature in nearby Howell was 7 below zero Thursday morning.

The man's name was not released pending notification of his family. Police say he lived alone, and there are no obvious signs of foul play.​

This is the problem with extreme weather conditions both the hot and the cold. So if you can check on your neighbors and your relatives daily a quick vist just to say Hi may save someones life.

This is the problem with extreme weather conditions both the hot and the cold. So if you can check on your neighbors and your relatives daily a quick vist just to say Hi may save someones life.

Good advice, last year in our little town an older lady fell outside broke a hip or leg don't remember which and ended up dying of exposure. If someone would have been around to check on her it may have been a different ending.

Earlier last week in MSP paper, lady 75+ old fell on driveway and got hurt, apparently there for 4 hours.Hauled to hospital, body core temp was 70 and no pulse or breathing. got her going, body core dropped to 60F, which is almost unheard of anywhere in medical history, and she survived the whole deal with no obvious effects or brain injury.

I can't stay outside 4 hours in this weather fully dressed for working.....

kcj

My grandpa in law took an ambien one night and didn't tell anyone. He went to shower and his wife heard a crash. He collapsed in the floor (78 years old) of the shower and she thought he had a heart attack or something. She called his son brian and he called me cause we are so close by. We got there and she had him in the bed. Realized he wasnt dead when he started snoring in the floor of the shower. Managed to get him kind of conscious and get him to the bed. He didn't remember any of it the next day besides getting in the shower. Powerful stuff.

My wife went outside last night to feed the cats, slipped on the ice and cracked her head pretty good. I was just getting ready to go out looking for her when she came in.

All it takes is one trip outside and a slip on the ice, especially if you're alone. I run in and out of the house all the time underdressed to get firewood. Might be worth it to slip the parka on quick even if its only for a minute or two.

Back