Saddle Set UP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had hear a story of a guy who was on a spar with just a lanyard on chunking out pieces. He was notching just cutting straight through and pushing them off. Well one piece ripped down the side and flipped him up and over the spar and he did summersaults to the ground. He was lucky and lived with some serious injuries. I still see people do things like this one guy in piticular but I never say anything to him only because he honestly one of the best climbers I know personaly, been to the ITCC. I don't feel it's my place to say anything. Maybe he knows something I don't but I don't ever take that chance. I will speak up when I see him do something I know for certain will result in injurie. Such as the time he place his line over the outside of the lowerline as he was chunking down wood above the pulley instead of behind the line.

There was a climber killed in my town last year when the spar split on him. I spoke with the person that lived next door to the jobsite when I went to pick up the logs. He said the climber made the face cut on the tree in the front yard but not on the one in the back yard. He lived for one week after the accident. I was told his wife was going to make molding from the tree he was in when the accident occurred.

We lost two climbers that year. Both were friends of mine.

Rob, it is to keep you out of the loop, so to speak.

Even better if you use a climbing line vs. a lanyard, then you may be able to releave pressure with the hitch and escape.

Back