Safe-T-Tip -- Do They Work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My oldest boy is about ready to start running my Echo CS-306 chainsaw and when I bought the saw, it came with a safe-t-tip guard for the end of the bar/chain. I've never used it, but I thought I would put it on while my boy is handling the saw. Do they really reduce or eliminate kickback?

While I'm thinking, would one of these safe-t-tips make a top handle chainsaw safer? I've always steered clear of these saws due to kickback potential, but I thought a small top handle saw would make a dandy saw to carry in the truck tool box.

Thanks,
Bill

I think the safety tip will definately reduce the risk of kickback. unfortunately the safety tip limits what can be done with the saw but for a beginner that wont matter much.

Lots of people get worried about top handle saws. I run my 334T husky all the time without a care. a good firm grip and paying attention while you cut and you will be fine.

First time I ever saw one of those tip protectors was back in the day on a Homelite Super XL.

Thanks,
Bill

When I bought my Homelite 540 new, it came with a 20" bar and safety tip. Never ran that B&C on the saw, replaced it with a 30" one. I seem to remember them mostly on Homelites.

I think it would be a good learning experiance for him, He'll learn Not to use that part of the bar (since he won't be able too) and it'll register in his mind not too. I like the idea.

Last edited:
Just teach him the proper way to use it without the tip guard, if you put the tip guard on then one day he picks up a saw without one he could find himself in a bad situation...it's like teaching them how to use a gun, teach them the right way and they'll be just fine..

Just teach him the proper way to use it without the tip guard, if you put the tip guard on then one day he picks up a saw without one he could find himself in a bad situation...it's like teaching them how to use a gun, teach them the right way and they'll be just fine..

have to say this is what I would do also. it would only be a matter of time before he would be using the saw without it anyway, the first chainsaw, dad let me use was an old homelite top handle to start with, so you should buy one if it fits your needs.

I agree that it may give a false sense of safety.
Teach him to stay out of the plane of the bar, know where the tip is at all times, and keep that thumb wrapped around the front handle.
You could also show him videos of the gory results of improper handling of a chainsaw.

My oldest boy is about ready to start running my Echo CS-306 chainsaw and when I bought the saw, it came with a safe-t-tip guard for the end of the bar/chain. I've never used it, but I thought I would put it on while my boy is handling the saw. Do they really reduce or eliminate kickback?

While I'm thinking, would one of these safe-t-tips make a top handle chainsaw safer? I've always steered clear of these saws due to kickback potential, but I thought a small top handle saw would make a dandy saw to carry in the truck tool box.

Thanks,
Bill

My impression is that these things were designed by corporate lawyers (the worst kind.) A Homey 150 had its little obstacle take off before first fuel went in.

I've enjoyed teaching two sons the fundamentals of safe use of chainsaws, and so far neither has broken skin with one, after about 15 yrs. And one of them had real inclinations to the self-destructive.

Safety rules (as in RULES, not goals or suggestions):
1) Keep all your pieces out of the plane of the chain at all times. (Similar to "watch where you're pointing that thing.")
2) Good balance always, with feet spread, arms outstretched, ready for "stuff."
3) No "monkey grip" on front handle. (Keep thumb OPPOSED to fingers.)
4) Arm on front grip kept straight with elbow locked.

This sort of stuff requires conscious thought & planning most every move. It will be tiring physically too, until you get used to it. Beats hell out of ER visits and micro-surgery. Worked fine with my first saw- a (tophandle) Poulan S25DA, powerful little screamer.

Back