Safety Chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiet87

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I see lots of chaps on ebay, but the Stihl chaps are quite expensive for me. What do You all think of other brands? I see 6ply, 7 layer, 9ply...what is the best? I'm using a 034, but occasionally I use a 064. I just want something that will hold up if i hit them. What are your suggestions? Is there any place on the net cheaper than ebay? Thanks for looking, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Safety is not some place where you want to pinch pennies... I bought a pair of Labonville chaps from Bailey's following my accident in 1988 and am still using them today. Buy quality and they will keep you safe and cost less in the long run.

Would you recommend going with the regular 6 ply Labonvilles or the xtreme competition ones? The regulars are $65 and the xtreme chaps are $90. I'm not sure if the regular chaps would hold up to a hit from a 064

I bought mine directly from Labonville. Buy the ones that make you feel safe or safest. I has a Stihl pair, but got the Labonville pair because they went around the back of the shins.

I agree 100% with post #2. I purchased the Labonville Extreme Competition full wrap chaps bout a year ago. They're the 10 ply and yes they are a little stiff at first but well worth the money IMHO. I told the wife I did'nt care what they cost, I was buying them. She said it's your legs get what you want. I think mine cost around $120.00 but I got the 40in length (which cost extra).

The Labonville chaps are very well made and no doubt worth the money. For me though I found the 9 ply 1000 denier Forestry Husqvarna chaps more comfortable with the calf wrap around. I have no doubt that all the better known chaps come up to spec as far as safety is concerned despite some of the hype about one brand over the other.

A pair of Stihl chaps costs $129.99 plus tax here for a total of 148.19 , I have to buy a new pair about every 6 months. Costs keep rising but wages haven't, gettin tougher every year & timber keeps gettin more scarce.

Replacement legs are not cheap ether:msp_cursing:

But saying that I think tonight I might order some myself as I have none as well:eek:uttahere2:

I never had a set of chap,s last fall i cut the knee out of my blue jeans this was my wake up call 59 dollar,s is cheap compaired to a trip to the emergency room.

Mike

Labonville makes nice stuff. Their liner chaps are pretty slick, they button to the inside of a pair of jeans. They also make some really nice winter pants that the liners work with as well. I really like 'em. Plus, no straps/buckles to get hung up in the brush - Sam

I got the full wrap Labonville they are great just wish they had the pocket on the leg like the stihl chaps do

I like the forestry pants as they don't have any hooks, straps or whatnot while fighting through the briars and brambles. I pay about $80 for them. On my second pair.

the first pair I bought after spending $1015.00 getting 14 stitches because I wasn't wearing protection. So I guess with the chaps ya might not get the manly scar but it could be cheaper in the long run... The wound was very superficial, only cut skin and not meat but I wasn't actually cutting at the time either, chain just coming back to idle after a cut while fighting my way through a kudzu thicket.

Money well spent.

Back