Safety Gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HILLBILLYREDNEC

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What do you guys wear or carry when cutting ? Wondering what extras or unique items are used by other AS members:cheers:
For me stags and bobs and a good pair of jack straps and brain bucket (buds are tied to the suspension.) are mandatory for all day logging work. Either caulks or fire boots are use for foot safety .The three safety devices that I will not cut with out are a whistle and my cell phone and a first aid kit. I always have a pair of chaps on hand for days when I do solo work,I tell someone I trust my plans for the day.

For all the rednecks out there, cutting or not, contraceptives. Please, remember, wear them all the time!

What do you guys wear or carry when cutting ? Wondering what extras or unique items are used by other AS members:cheers:
For me stags and bobs and a good pair of jack straps and brain bucket (buds are tied to the suspension.) are mandatory for all day logging work. Either caulks or fire boots are use for foot safety .The three safety devices that I will not cut with out are a whistle and my cell phone and a first aid kit. I always have a pair of chaps on hand for days when I do solo work,I tell someone I trust my plans for the day.

Okay...you win the wannabe logger indecipherable language award for the day. Please explain what stags, bobs and jackstraps are. I think I know what you mean by buds but doesn't wearing them in your suspension make them greasy, soggy, and hard to smoke?

And please quit wearing your chaps on your hand when you do solo work. They'll probably cause irritation to sensitive parts of your body.

Benedryl if you get stung by hornets or Wasps it slows down the swelling.If you get stung by a large amount of them you better have some.Man I hate them damn suckers!

You also need a forester there to point out the stump pull and say, "It is a good thing this is not a scaled sale."

Uh huh...and then you get the "look" from the faller. And maybe a saw handed to you with the invitation to try it yourself. Mostly what you get, offering advice after the fact, is ignored. ;)

Another statement or question, "Are you sure it won't hit the road and that culvert?";)

LOL.. and the answer is always "nope, I can swing it". And then, after the dust settles..."well, maybe it's not as bad as it looks. We'll get a Cat in here to push the bank back up and I think we can straighten that culvert lip with a cheater bar. Damn wind, anyway."

The chaps I have (two), which I and other guys have worn, have about 3 or 4 small cuts from chainsaws in them. And when these cuts occurred, I or the other person wearing them were not planning on cutting our legs that day, so good thing we were wearing them! (I and anyone working with me *always* wear chaps.)

Then my hard hats have a few assorted dings and scratches in them. Never had anything heavy fall on them, but have been walking along and my head hit low branches, etc. So hard hats have saved my head a few times.

And I can't live without a full face shield. Keeps the sawdust out of my mouth/eyes when bucking. Not fun to be out in the middle of nowhere and get something in your eye! (Using a long 32" bar, cutting low on ground so bar angled up, then wind blowing sawdust up toward me.)

Then when watching TV or listening to the stereo, I like the volume low. Probably because I always use ear protection when using loud equipment. I can still hear quite well.

In my truck: Required fire equipment (shovel, water, fire extinguisher). First aid kit, survival kit, blanket/heavy coat, basic tools, duct tape and bailing wire (can save your a$$ with truck breakdowns), air horn, CB radio and cell phone.

LOL.. and the answer is always "nope, I can swing it". And then, after the dust settles..."well, maybe it's not as bad as it looks. We'll get a Cat in here to push the bank back up and I think we can straighten that culvert lip with a cheater bar. Damn wind, anyway."

Up here, it goes, "Maybe So and So can hook it with the corner of the blade on the cat and put it back." Never do any manual work when a piece of equipment is soon to be delivered. :D

Okay...you win the wannabe logger indecipherable language award for the day. Please explain what stags, bobs and jackstraps are. I think I know what you mean by buds but doesn't wearing them in your suspension make them greasy, soggy, and hard to smoke?

And please quit wearing your chaps on your hand when you do solo work. They'll probably cause irritation to sensitive parts of your body.

Well for some one who claims to be a logger you just proved your the poser and a wannabe logger. You know nothing of logging industry from this kinda post . I am not the wannabe after seeing this post :laugh: :confused2:

Benedryl if you get stung by hornets or Wasps it slows down the swelling.If you get stung by a large amount of them you better have some.Man I hate them damn suckers!

Yes antihistamine is very important were one comes in close contact with mother natures little pain army.

HBRN you truly deserve every bad comment made about you and what you say, you have no idea how to conduct yourself in open company and I find myself sickened by your waffle and lies.
Metals seems to know something about who you really are and that you may have some "problems" well if that is the case I do not wish to seem rude but you need to be supervised in a more strict manner.
Thankyou for the neg rep HBRN !!!! at last a reaction to a hit nerve ?

Last edited:
Speaking for me..

First and foremost: My wits.

(Never go into the woods with something taking up most of your thoughts, like a bad marriage, or sick kid. You'll get hurt.)

Second; My hardhat with ear muffins and screen.

Beyond that, a sharp saw and old number 7...(JD 648D)

I AM a logger, and I have no idea what most of what HBRN posted is besides calk boots. East coast west coast logging is night and day different for the greatest part.

Back