Safety Gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I hate getting up early! 05:00 is no problem but anything earlier and I just have a mental block against it. I worked for an old man who used to milk several small herds each morning. He used to get up between 01:30 and 03:30 so he could get the milk to the creamery on time. I could never have done that. I would rather sleep in my truck at the jobsite than get up before 05:00.

My dad used to get us up at 04:30 to go duck hunting and as much as I loved it I hated sitting in a frozen duck blind for an hour in the dark. Oh and I am an early to bed type also.

5:00 in the morning is not early. 5:00 in the morning is not when you get out of bed. 5:00 in the morning is when you get out of your pickup, in the woods, and start getting your day going. Unless you're the loader operator...in which case you get out of your pickup at four in the morning.

5:00 in the morning. Sheeeeesh. :buttkick::)

5:00 in the morning is not early. 5:00 in the morning is not when you get out of bed. 5:00 in the morning is when you get out of your pickup, in the woods, and start getting your day going. Unless you're the loader operator...in which case you get out of your pickup at four in the morning.

5:00 in the morning. Sheeeeesh. :buttkick::)

Remind me never to go to a GTG you organise!

We had an incident yesterday where one guy didn't show up at the yard to meet me at 07:30. When he showed up at the jobsite about 08:00 the boss told me by cell phone to fire him. This was the first time the guy was late in over a year of employment so I was able to talk him down. The boss was running late too.

What do you guys wear or carry when cutting ? Wondering what extras or unique items are used by other AS members:cheers:
For me stags and bobs and a good pair of jack straps and brain bucket (buds are tied to the suspension.) are mandatory for all day logging work. Either caulks or fire boots are use for foot safety .The three safety devices that I will not cut with out are a whistle and my cell phone and a first aid kit. I always have a pair of chaps on hand for days when I do solo work,I tell someone I trust my plans for the day.

Today I waded out to a small island to cut most of the trees growing on it. It took 2 hours of cutting with 2 guys on land pulling the brush across the river to chip it. I wore jungle boots, old nomex fire pants, a t-shirt and a hard hat and mesh glasses. The water wasn't much more than a foot deep so I didn't wear the PFD that I set out the night before but forgot anyway. No bobs or stags, no pins or jackstraps. I like those old terms, never heard them before.

Here is a pic from today 8/5/11. I just finished brushing the small island and I'm about to wade back to land.

DSCF0755.jpg

As a kid on the ranch I only had a denim jacket for warmth. Later on when I was about 13 I added a hooded sweat shirt under my jacket. BTW I got a new jacket every year just before deer season so riding around in the jeep in the dark at 04:30 was not quite so miserable. I hated those early mornings too Bob. Anyway I never heard that denim jacket called a jacket, only a jumper.

Last edited:
Remind me never to go to a GTG you organise!

We had an incident yesterday where one guy didn't show up at the yard to meet me at 07:30. When he showed up at the jobsite about 08:00 the boss told me by cell phone to fire him. This was the first time the guy was late in over a year of employment so I was able to talk him down. The boss was running late too.

Jesus, do you by chance work for Mr. Burns from The Simpsons. If he's a half hour late in his first week there, cut his ass loose, it's probably a good forecast for the future, but if he's been there for a year just bark him out or make him to some laborious menial task (my usual punishment for throwing things at people when I worked at the barrel factory :D ) or even just let it slide, it aint that big of a deal

Jesus, do you by chance work for Mr. Burns from The Simpsons. If he's a half hour late in his first week there, cut his ass loose, it's probably a good forecast for the future, but if he's been there for a year just bark him out or make him to some laborious menial task (my usual punishment for throwing things at people when I worked at the barrel factory :D ) or even just let it slide, it aint that big of a deal

Our entire existance, our day to day job is laborious menial labor. Cutting trees and dragging brush. Work IS punishment.

Our entire existance, our day to day job is laborious menial labor. Cutting trees and dragging brush. Work IS punishment.

Yeah, but I'm talking about real nasty stuff that doesn't really even need to be done, stuff where the punish-ee knows that there's no damn point to what they're doing

at the barrel factory I used to have to "spin chips" (usually after throwing balled up rubber gloves or 1/2" barrel nubs at people:D), they had a machine that looked like a giant steel washing machine. If you got in trouble you had to spend several hours lifting armfulls of sharp assed, greasy, oily chips from the rifler and barrel drills into a basket inside this machine to drain the oil and recycle it. After it spun for 2 songs on the radio, the brake was broken, you had to take a length of 2x4 and jam it between the wall of the machine and the spinning basket to slow the basket enough to stop it by hand. The basket was going fast enough that your 2x4 was smoking like a chimney by the time it slowed down

Yeah, but I'm talking about real nasty stuff that doesn't really even need to be done, stuff where the punish-ee knows that there's no damn point to what they're doing

at the barrel factory I used to have to "spin chips" (usually after throwing balled up rubber gloves or 1/2" barrel nubs at people:D), they had a machine that looked like a giant steel washing machine. If you got in trouble you had to spend several hours lifting armfulls of sharp assed, greasy, oily chips from the rifler and barrel drills into a basket inside this machine to drain the oil and recycle it. After it spun for 2 songs on the radio, the brake was broken, you had to take a length of 2x4 and jam it between the wall of the machine and the spinning basket to slow the basket enough to stop it by hand. The basket was going fast enough that your 2x4 was smoking like a chimney by the time it slowed down

Hhmm. Well we hire a contractor (Labor Ready) to do the really nasty stuff like cleaning up "homeless" campsites and picking up used needles. There isn't anything so nasty that we all don't pitch in and fix. I'll have to think up something over the weekend.

Hhmm. Well we hire a contractor (Labor Ready) to do the really nasty stuff like cleaning up "homeless" campsites and picking up used needles. There isn't anything so nasty that we all don't pitch in and fix. I'll have to think up something over the weekend.

You could go Cool Hand Luke on his ass, just make him dig a giant hole and then fill it back in

Back