Safety Helmet Visor, Mesh or Solid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnHermit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm currently wearing plastic goggles over my prescription sunglasses, they get hot and fog sometimes.

Seems safety helmets, (hat, ear muffs, visor) come with three different flavors of visors:
1. plastic mesh
2. metal mesh
3. solid clear plastic

What visor do you favor?

Thanks

I use the husky helmet with the mesh visor. I really like the fact it never fogs up. On occasion I will still get chips in my eyes. 90% of the time it works great. I'd rather have an occasional chip rather than the constant fogging of saftey glasses. I wear saftey glasses 10 to 14 hours a day as a welder and they work good in controlled envirnment of the shop, but not outside.

Mine has the metal mesh. Plastic I wouldn't even think of and the fogging on the other would be a concern of mine. IMHO of course.

I have the Husky helmet with metal mesh. Still wear the safety glasses underneath. We have ventilated ones at work that seem to find a way into my truck and out into the woods. My eyes seem to be magnets for chips.

Last weekend I was cutting some elm in windy conditions, 25-30 mph, and a chip still managed to get past both layers of protection.

+1 I sweat quite a bit as well. But, you don't even notice it is there.
Nah, I would get the metal mesh one. Like bama said you don't even see it while it's on. The plastic would scratch up too easy and i guess the plastic mesh would be okay. I had a picture of the rust on it at one time but guess i deleted from my files. I will see if i can take another. BTW it's a stihl helmet.

Last edited:
I have the Husky helmet with metal mesh. Still wear the safety glasses underneath. We have ventilated ones at work that seem to find a way into my truck and out into the woods. My eyes seem to be magnets for chips.

Last weekend I was cutting some elm in windy conditions, 25-30 mph, and a chip still managed to get past both layers of protection.

+1 :agree2:

Mesh visor with safety glasses underneath.

The face visor is designed to protect your face from large, flying chips - not designed to be your primary eye protection. As noted, the mesh doesn't fog up, doesn't get smeared with dirt, doesn't get scratched, etc. Welders use plastic visors while grinding because the grinding sparks, grit, etc, are small enough to pass through the mesh. Same thing for spraying chemicals.

I wear prescription safety glasses under the mesh. I have them because I use them for work and lots of other things. Just as comfortable as wearing regular glasses. You can get a pair for under $100 even at Sears Optical centers, or where ever you get your regular glasses. Much better than trying to wear other protective glasses on top.

People who do not wear prescription glasses have a lot more choices, with good quality glasses selling for $6 and up, with lots of styles to choose from.

Goggles do provide additional protection for your eyes, but not for the rest of your face, and they get hot.

Phlbert

Mesh all the way. Mesh isnt going to fog up and will keep you cooler than clear plastic.
The only time I would want a clear plastic visor would be if I were running a concrete saw.

Sunglasses through a mesh will be like working in a cave at dusk. If you intend to use a forest helmet, ditch the sunglass and spring for a pair of prescription safety glasses. Even with side shields and mesh visor you will probably still get some crap in your eyes, especially if you cut in high winds. I personally hate mesh. I find it is hard to see through and if the light is wrong, it can be blinding but it beats a scratched cornea (dont ask me how I know).

I wear this one with safety sunglasses underneath since I wear contact lenses.
My eyes are super sensitive to light so I wear sunglasses 90% of the time when I'm outside anyway, and they keep the chips and dust out of my eyes.

DSCN0230-1.jpg

Husky w/ Mesh. Safety glasses over the eyeballs, usually Oakley M-frames on account of them fitting me and not fogging up in the cold like regular safety glasses. Run light shaded lenses and it's not too dark on bright days.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

This is the stihl helmet, You can see the rust on the visor but it doesn't affect your view. It is hot in the summer, I usually wear a rag on my head in the summer to help soak up the sweat.

chainsaws148.jpg

This another mesh visor i use to run the brushcutter and weed whacker in. I wiped it off for the pic but there was a lot of grass and trash on the visor. If it hadn't been on my head that stuff would have been in my face.

chainsaws149.jpg

I ordered one of these: Ear Muff/Mesh Screen

99848.gif

Hate the goggles that came with my Poulan, see below, and I'd like some measure of sound attenuation.

35710.gif

Thanks for all the replies. :cheers:

Last edited:
I have the peltor hardhat with the plastic screen. It works nice but is too hot in the summer. I think I'm gonna buy some bugz-eye goggles with the micro stainless steel mesh from bailey's. I usually wear safety glasses but they really fog up on the humid days.

Latest posts

Back