Safety Helmet Visor, Mesh or Solid?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not meaning to be an ####### here, but keep in mind, no type of guard is bullet proof, just use your brain and the face guard will never come into play.

I see that lots of people are fans of the full helmets with shields. I have always been a big fan of bugs. They are like swimming goggles with mesh. they are comfortable and you see better than with the shield. I like the fact that they are not bulky.

I just bought a Stihl helmet with the metal mesh, and I really like it. Ended the fogging problems which I experienced with either goggles over my glasses or with a polycarbonate shield on my Echo helmet.

I would love to find some prescription safety glasses, but I wear progressive bifocals now and it would probably cost a fortune.

Haven't tried this with the goggles yet, but I have a product called "Cat Crap" that works pretty well against fogging.

I'll probably keep using the Echo helmet with my string trimmer. I don't have enough trimming to do to get fogged up with it.

BTW, I found the shields between the Echo and the Stihl are interchangeable.

Lambs,

I can't remember the brand right now, but they offer bulk safety glasses with bi-focal like magnification in increments. Not progressive, but ya might find one close enough. They had to be CHEAP as my old employer bought them by the Pallet and handed them out to contractors on site. If I remember the name, I'll holler.

This is them!! http://safetyglasses.com/cgi-bin/store/store.pl?cid=179

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
I use a pacific kevlar helmet with a peltor mesh screen and 29 dB NRR ear muffs. I almost always have my safety/sunglasses on underneath. Not in this case though. :) Not my best pic.

Like DK said I also have the Pacific Helmet system. Peltor,Husky all seem to be like "Bob the Builder " type helmets, not very strong. If a Widowmaker comes down. Just my 2.

I have a Husky Helmet and wear saftey glasses under it. Looking at pics of other brand helmets, looks like the face shield on the other ones come down farther and offer more protection than the Husky. Other than that I like it and it fits good.

Just an FYI on polycarb visors vs steel mesh and impact resistance (if it interests you)

In rough terms, 2mm PC is rated at 120m/s (high speed impact) and 1mm around 45m/s (medium velocity)

Steel mesh is rated at 12m/s or below. (mesh doesn't have to be tested under AS/NZS 1337, the Australian/NZ standard)

FWIW the visor on my old Simpson Shark Snell 90 certified race helmet was 3mm thick PC.

I have worked haz-mat jobs in the past years, wearing full face respirator in 100 degree heat, mask would fog on the exhale, clear on the inhale. Safety supply company's make lens wipes to eliminate foggings. If none were available, I was taught to wipe the inside of the lens with liquid dish soap, let dry, then wipe residue with clean lens cloth, seems to work on safety glasses too.

Rubbing shaving cream on the inside of the lenses supposedly keeps the fog down as well. I know it works reasonably well on a car w/no defrost.

I use chemistry goggles over my prescription glasses and surprisingly have no issues with fog at all. They also seal to the face pretty well, so not much can get past them. Pair that w/a mesh screen & I'm good to go.

Ma

Latest posts

Back