Save me from me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I split all my wood by hand, a stihl PA80 and the fiskers. I like splitting by hand. I do have a MTD 25 ton hydro that I only use on the real tough rounds. Well I have an opportunity to buy a timberwolf T2 for $1200. Splitters around here hold there value. So I cant help but think buy the splitter, sell the MTD for $800 which it would sell. Then the T2 would really only cost $2-400. I have this in my head so it's probably a done deal even if it's a waist of money. Damn OCD.

If the T2 is in as good of shape as the one you have now itwould be a no brainer for me. Go for it!! I would love to have one.

I like splitting by hand too, but if I was gonna go pro, a deal like that would be hard to pass up. I mean, it isn't that many cords until it is paid off, yes?

I like busting my rounds by hand too, but I'm seriously looking at getting a cheap splitter this year. Something to take care of the twisty knots and also to help me get caught up with all the wood I have on the ground waiting to be processed. I'd be all over that deal if I were you.

Do it! I too enjoy splitting by hand. I haven't found much that I cant split may take 10 hits but oh well. The ones that don't split go to the bonfire pile for summer parties!

This is not helping! I'll have to see about taking a look on sat.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but....eventually you wont be able to split as much by hand.....

Id get it for sure! It will likely last longer than the MTD, so when the day comes that you realize you not as good as you once were, youll be glad you got it.

An old family family friend was quite frugal. His wife was not what I would call a spendthrift but she was less frugal than he was. She would go and buy nice clothes on sale and come home to tell her husband how much she saved. His standard reply was "show me the money that you "saved", I want you to put it in my hand". This has always stuck with me. The way to save money is not to spend it. No matter how much something is discounted, if you don't need it at the moment, then you can't save money by buying it.

Splitters everywhere hold their value. You could probably use it for years then sell it for a profit. That's how I would justify buying it anyway.

If you can get a TW for that price assuming everything is in good working order, I would do it. Bonus is you can sell your other splitter. I think the TW will keep you happy for many years. If you decide you don't need/want it anymore down the road they hold their value and you would have no problem selling it.

TW-2 for $1200, jump with both feet.

You're in "you suck" territory. If you don't want it send me the details and I'll drive up and grab it at that price.

A TW-2 for that kind of money is as previously stated is a no brainer. If you can wind up upgrading to a TW-2 from an MTD for less than $400 it's a smoking deal. If this deal goes on CL, that splitter will be sold in less than 1/2 hour.

As an example of how T'Wolfs hold their value, 4-5 years ago I bought a used TW-P1 for $1500. I used it for 1-1/2 years, probably split 65-75 cord with it, then sold it for my asking price of $1900 within 2 hours of listing it on CL when I purchased my TW-2HD.

Take Care

An old family family friend was quite frugal. His wife was not what I would call a spendthrift but she was less frugal than he was. She would go and buy nice clothes on sale and come home to tell her husband how much she saved. His standard reply was "show me the money that you "saved", I want you to put it in my hand". This has always stuck with me. The way to save money is not to spend it. No matter how much something is discounted, if you don't need it at the moment, then you can't save money by buying it.
Your not from around here, are ya :)

I wouldn't tell anybody here where the Timberwolf is until you buy it.

I'm with the rest... that's a rare bargain so get it.

None of us is getting any younger. I could split by hand but it just beats me up six ways from Sunday. Man, I'd not let an opportunity like this one get away. :)

Not to be the bearer of bad news but....eventually you wont be able to split as much by hand.....

Id get it for sure! It will likely last longer than the MTD, so when the day comes that you realize you not as good as you once were, youll be glad you got it.

Amen to that! Mr. Arthritis has cut my hand splitting days down to zero. Wouldn't be without my splitter, and don't miss hand splitting at all.

Hope it is not advertised somewhere, it'll be gone by Saturday. If I had a shot at a deal like this, I be on the road in me trusty F150, not on AS teasin everybody wit it...that would come after it is safely in my stable! :D

Hope it is not advertised somewhere, it'll be gone by Saturday. If I had a shot at a deal like this, I be on the road in me trusty F150, not on AS teasin everybody wit it...that would come after it is safely in my stable! :D
yup missed em both, there was also a p1 for $1250 on the other side of the state. Feels good as I did not need them and for sure could use to keep my money where it's at for now. I did just get a new to me wood trailer that I will post this weekend.

Back