Save the salamander

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraspecialman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong,I have nuthin against bein environmentally friendly.But this mornin I was talkin to a buddy of mine that lives up in the northern part of the state.He started a select cutting operation about 2 weeks ago on a 300 acre tract.He was shut down because theres some kinda endangered lizard in that area.Now he says hes gotta go through a bunch of crap and send off for a permit to continue his loggin operation.I had never heard of a shut down like this on private land.But I have heard of many on National Forest operations.Anyhow,I guess the lizard is more important than somebody tryin to make an honest living

Ughhhhh

Dude, that's a rough one... Say they were thinking that when the last saber tooth tiger was running from the falling tree. I think there's a need for balance with EPA. It's not like there's no where else to cut. I cut tons of trees, I also swerve when a frog jumps in the road and have been known to turn around to take a frog or turtle off the road. Balance is key bro. Would you want to know that your the one that ruined the last place on earth the american eagle bred and raised their young?? I doubt it... I'm not siding with either so you know, just siting both sides bro... I would like to hear more about it though... See if you can get any details eh?

:cheers:

Freakin doogooders, they are not endangered, too bad. We get that stuff here, if they had it thier way nothing would move. No end to the crying and moaning, most everything around here was clearcut a 100 years ago, it grew back, now, if you cut down trees you are "destroying" it. How is that even possible?

#1 Salamanders aren't lizards, they're amphibians.

#2 Amphibians make excellent bio-indicators for an environment. When amphibians start to die, there is something wrong. You may not agree but those salamanders are helping to make sure you have clean water to drink.

#3 :cheers:

#4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheat_Mountain_salamander

#5 Native only to WV, you should take care of it.

#6 :cheers:

Last edited:
Dude, that's a rough one... Say they were thinking that when the last saber tooth tiger was running from the falling tree. I think there's a need for balance with EPA. It's not like there's no where else to cut. I cut tons of trees, I also swerve when a frog jumps in the road and have been known to turn around to take a frog or turtle off the road. Balance is key bro. Would you want to know that your the one that ruined the last place on earth the american eagle bred and raised their young?? I doubt it... I'm not siding with either so you know, just siting both sides bro... I would like to hear more about it though... See if you can get any details eh?

:cheers:
The Sabre toothed tiger is gone?, terrible, another species destroyed by logging. When will it stop?

#2 Amphibians make excellent bio-indicators for an environment. When amphibians start to die, there is something wrong. You may not agree but those salamanders are helping to make sure you have clean water to drink.

I just wanna see a picture of it so I can get one for fish bait!!!!!

wasnt sure if the salamander was an amphibian or not,thanks for clearin that up.Does it make as good fishin bait as a plain ol lizard?

Heck yeah!!!!!!! especially in the spring with the Bass spawning

Last edited:
Plant Biologist,I am not sayin in anyway that I want to see any species go extinct.But even a hiker or a mountain biker is gonna step on sumthin or ride over some kinda life form.I brake for ground hogs on the highway,but im not gonna swerve and kill myself at the same time.My friend up north has 3 kids and also employs 3 other guys that also have families.I just get sick of seein hard workin people bein put outta work day after day because somebody has a problem with loggin.He also told me they put a stop to moss and locopolian?[whatever that is] gatherin.He said it was a big thing up there.

I just wanna see a picture of it so I can get one for fish bait!!!!!

Heck yeah!!!!!!! especially in the spring with the Bass spawning

LOL!! $50,000 fine and up to 1 year in prison should be a deterrent (for each individual animal killed). :cheers:

I am all for eating panda, but amphibians are where I draw the line for endangered species. They are too important to the ecosystem.

Stop

The Sabre toothed tiger is gone?, terrible, another species destroyed by logging. When will it stop?

Stop dude, don't be dramatic... It wasn't like that and you know it. Bunches of things and can affect an environment of animals. MORE than logging. Logging is a mere small thing that can affect the environment. A VERY SMALL THING. However, since your feeling facetious, I'd ask that why this 300 acres is Sooooooo important to log??? There's no where else they can work??? I'd rather smack the snot out of somebody dumping chemicals into a lake or somebody dumping old oil all over the place for small animals to get in than ban a logger for making a living. I do think a good thing in the adirondaks is how logging is regulated. Specially since 100 yrs ago the mountains were logged clean here, and that causes erosion etc... Hence why there's nothing but clay down south... Same idea... Got me dude? You seeing where I'm coming from now??? Long as I'm not affecting something endangered, I'll keep cutting.

:cheers: eh?

Plant Biologist,I am not sayin in anyway that I want to see any species go extinct.But even a hiker or a mountain biker is gonna step on sumthin or ride over some kinda life form.I brake for ground hogs on the highway,but im not gonna swerve and kill myself at the same time.My friend up north has 3 kids and also employs 3 other guys that also have families.I just get sick of seein hard workin people bein put outta work day after day because somebody has a problem with loggin.He also told me they put a stop to moss and locopolian?[whatever that is] gatherin.He said it was a big thing up there.

I understand what you are saying, but you have got to see the difference between logging and hiking/mountain biking don't you? The law is the law, and everyone needs to obey it whether you agree or not. Didn't your friend look into these things before he started? If it is a big deal around there, sounds like he got caught red-handed.

You forgot #7.
#7 : They taste just like chicken.:laugh:

We have to deal with this kinda crap all the time. There were a couple of timber sales here that got shut down because of the "Mescalero thistel". Come on, it's a dam weed, you can't kill it.
There have been job's shut down here for: Salamander's, Goss hawk's, Spotted owel's, etc. etc. etc.
The only humor I can find is that the Spotted owl's feed on the Salamander's, and the Goss hawk's feed on the spotted owl's.
Just hope that they don't find some "sub-species" and decide to call it a spotted owl where you live.

Andy

Around here its eagles. If your property is within 1000 feet of an eagle perching tree, you have only 4 months of the year to do any type of work with heavy machinery or frame and side a house. We also have a lot of wetland laws as well.

You forgot #7.
#7 : They taste just like chicken.:laugh:

We have to deal with this kinda crap all the time. There were a couple of timber sales here that got shut down because of the "Mescalero thistel". Come on, it's a dam weed, you can't kill it.
There have been job's shut down here for: Salamander's, Goss hawk's, Spotted owel's, etc. etc. etc.
The only humor I can find is that the Spotted owl's feed on the Salamander's, and the Goss hawk's feed on the spotted owl's.
Just hope that they don't find some "sub-species" and decide to call it a spotted owl where you live.

Andy

But I don't think you have this out west.

mtrm3.jpg

This salamander is found on 1 mountain. I think that isn't completely unreasonable to protect.

Last edited:
Back