Saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A saw I have not seen mentioned here would be the currently available crop of Husky 365 Specials... Just a step slower than the 372Xp but quite a bit cheaper and a top quality saw. I was going to order one but found a like new MS440 for a good price.

I use sthil chaps but would like to try Lobonneville next.

2Door

Yep 365/2165, great all around saw. Perfect with a 20" bar, but will pul a 24" bar/chain with no problems. And the price is better then the 372.

I don't know what kind of value it might have. I would use it for firewood and I thought about taking some of the maple and cherry taken to the local mill. Unfortunately I have very little oak but I do have a decent amount of black cherry, which is 95% standing. I've thought about having my property selectively logged but after our hunting property was "selectively" logged I'm a little concerned about making a mess of my land.

I don't know about maple in your area, but I do know that the best cherry in the world grows in your state.
I'd approach any logging with extreme caution before you allow any cutting.
You may be surprised what just 5% of the stand is worth, given that you sell it correctly. Leaving it standing will cost you nothing. Have you considered doing a pre commercial cut of the lowgrade in order to release the more valuable crop trees for a future cut?
Crop trees that have room, light and nutrients grow alot faster than trees that are too tight together.
A forest that is managed correctly, will never be depleted in volume or grade and will allow a productive cut at least every 10 years if not sooner.
Think of yours trees as nothing more than $$ in the bank in addition to the recreation and wildlife it supports.
Gypo

I appreciate all the help from everyone. I ended up buying a MS 362 w/ a 20" B&C from my local stihl dealer. He has been my father's and mine dealer for 30 years. I bought the saw through my Dad's business for $630 no tax. I bought an extra chain as well. It was more balanced than the "cheaper" saw in the same class: the 391. But after handling the saws I decided on the 362. Thanks again for all the feedback, much appreciated.:chainsaw:

Tom

Had the saw (MS362) out running today and what a difference from the 025. I used the 025 for limbing and the 362 for the bigger stuff and although the 362 is heavier I just liked the smooth feeling and balance this saw has, so I used for just about everything (until I got tired).

It made very short work of a good size shag bark hickory I lost this winter to high winds. :clap:

Tom

I ope this is the right place to post this; I'm following the link for in the homeowner section for questions about saws. Anyway here is my question:

I have to do some major clean up for down and dead tree on my property. Most of the clean up will take place around the creek that runs through my property. With the high winds this past winter I've had some pretty big trees fall over and into the creek. I've neglected creek maintenance the last two years and my my wife loves to walk the creek when her boys (me and our two sons) are bugging her, but she can't get very far these days--so I have to clean about 7 acres of creek bottom up. I have a Stihl 025 w/ a 16" bar which I believe is too small for the job ahead of me, so I think I need a bigger saw. I'll take some pics tomorrow to show the size trees I have to clean up but fair number of them are larger than 16" in diameter.

I am fairly comfortable around saws, been handling them on weekend basis for 25 years so I would put myself slightly above a weekend warrior. I'm not brand loyal, I've handled Stihl's (my Dad's 08 and my 025), Husky's and Jonsereds. I have local dealers for all of these brands, but I've been looking in the local classifieds for a used saw as well. In fact I saw this add today:

HUSQVARNA 372XP CHAIN SAW
70.7CC, 5.3HP, 20-blade, 13.4-lbs, professional grade, only cut 10-cords, like new, $650.

This seems kind of high for a used saw to me but it's been a long time since I've looked for a saw.

So what size saw should I be looking for? I have ~60 acres with about 50% hardwoods, so there is always clean-up and firewood duty to pull and I think I'm slowly killing my 025. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Without knowing the details of those trees, a 372xp sounds like a good idea. :)

Also, listen to Yokonsawman regarding your trees - he wasn't always up in Yukon.....

Last edited:
Get the Labonville Full Wrap Chaps from Bailey's. They're great, kneeling down in he snow my legs didn't get wet and with the straps they stay where they're supposed to as well.

+1! Great chaps!

silentbob said:
I appreciate all the help from everyone. I ended up buying a MS 362 w/ a 20" B&C from my local stihl dealer. He has been my father's and mine dealer for 30 years. I bought the saw through my Dad's business for $630 no tax. I bought an extra chain as well. It was more balanced than the "cheaper" saw in the same class: the 391. But after handling the saws I decided on the 362. Thanks again for all the feedback, much appreciated.

Nice! Good cutting, and be careful out there!

Back