Saw and CSM recommendations... (another one, I know..) Help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoshawn

....Beer is good.....
Reaction score
OK, so I'm wanting to do some milling, without breaking the bank hopefully.
The wood will all be softwood (primarily pine, since I have plenty on my property), but I'm sure I'll drag home some doug-fir or larch, maybe cedar on occasion.
I'm wanting an older saw with plenty of oomph, and oiling, to be just for milling purposes. Sure don't need an 880, but don't want a saw that's gonna take an hour per plank either.
Brand isn't an issue (shocking coming from me, I know).. :D Simple to work on and available parts would be a plus since I know milling is hard on saws.
Also, best bang for the buck on a CSM? My logs wont be over 24" diameter.
Any thoughts and advice is and would be very much appreciated!

I happen to like my Granberg Alaskan mill. Buy at least one size bigger than you think you'll want. My first go was with a 24" and I later bought a set of 36" rails for it. The GB "small mill" doesn't hold the end of the bar captive like the 24"and larger versions do. The same is true of the Logosol "Big Mill" (?).

The Granber Mini Mill clamps onto the bar and follows an aluminum rail with the saw held vertically. I use one of these for edging on larger logs after making a topcut with the Alaskan. It eliminates the need to roll the log 90* to use the Alaskan to do the edge cuts.

As for a saw, buy something with serious displacement. My first go was with a 272xp, and I soon realized it wasn't what I wanted. I'm currently using a 066 with BB kit with a 660 as a backup saw. My 3120 is going to be cutting the stuff that makes the 066BB work too hard.

70% of a 24" log translates into a 17"x17" cant, but you could be cutting 24" slabs from the center of that same log. It will take the 30" mill to cut 24" width.

Last edited:
OK, so I'm wanting to do some milling, without breaking the bank hopefully.
The wood will all be softwood (primarily pine, since I have plenty on my property), but I'm sure I'll drag home some doug-fir or larch, maybe cedar on occasion.
I'm wanting an older saw with plenty of oomph, and oiling, to be just for milling purposes. Sure don't need an 880, but don't want a saw that's gonna take an hour per plank either.
Brand isn't an issue (shocking coming from me, I know).. :D Simple to work on and available parts would be a plus since I know milling is hard on saws.
Also, best bang for the buck on a CSM? My logs wont be over 24" diameter.
Any thoughts and advice is and would be very much appreciated!

Like I have never heard or said that!! Got a log on the ground right now that is over 38"...but it looked a lot smaller before I was putting it on the trailer:dizzy:

I have a 064 with a 36" ripping set up. As long as I do my part keeping the chain sharp....she has no issues(well she doesn't like to pull hard when she gets warmed up, but I'm saving some pennies to get her re-built). Plenty of oil and take your time to allow for cooling after a cut(idle saw to draw some air through).

Scott (but the big one followed me home, can I keep it) B

Like I have never heard or said that!! Got a log on the ground right now that is over 38"...but it looked a lot smaller before I was putting it on the trailer:dizzy:

I have a 064 with a 36" ripping set up. As long as I do my part keeping the chain sharp....she has no issues(well she doesn't like to pull hard when she gets warmed up, but I'm saving some pennies to get her re-built). Plenty of oil and take your time to allow for cooling after a cut(idle saw to draw some air through).

Scott (but the big one followed me home, can I keep it) B

You mean my pawn shop pp4620 isn't an adequate milling saw???? :hmm3grin2orange: Damnit anyway.. lol

Baileys has a sale on the Logosol big mill timber jig right now. Decent setup great price! At least 70cc the more the better! If you go with stihl's picco ripping chain and set up your bar and drive sprocket accordingly, you will NOT be disappointed!!

I run a 064 and will be getting a Panther Mill 2 in the near future, 42 or 48" with Aux Oiler. I'm not sure what others think of the Panther Mills (I only have Granberg small mill experience now), but they appear to be stout, inexpensive, and made in the U S of A. I agree with others, get a bigger saw and mill than you think you'll need. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

I run a 064 and will be getting a Panther Mill 2 in the near future, 42 or 48" with Aux Oiler. I'm not sure what others think of the Panther Mills (I only have Granberg small mill experience now), but they appear to be stout, inexpensive, and made in the U S of A. I agree with others, get a bigger saw and mill than you think you'll need. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

Well I have the Poulan 655, so once I get the kinks figured out with it, the saw is handled..Think 100cc is enough.. lol

"My logs wont be over 24" diameter" This is what I said before I got my 880.:) Im swimming in 50" slabs now. BIG hardwoods here though. 660 is the way to go. Watch ebay or craigslist or, if you want the peace of mind, buy a new one. (bit of cash but worth it) Will pull a 36" bar and give you plenty of torque for the soft woods. Let the dust fly.

Sounds like me

Three years ago, then: see Thread: "Homemade "alaska" mill for a poor welder" a few pages back. No matter what ya buy or build, it'll always need tweaking and $$

Latest posts

Back